Menu

Compiling problem in Ubuntu 8.10

Help
2008-11-03
2013-06-05
  • Wernher Brevis

Wernher Brevis - 2008-11-03

Dear Gerber,

I have been trying to compile the new 0.6 version in my system AMD64 with  the new Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), without success. There is any plan to release a .deb package for debian?

Thank you in advance for you answer. I had been successfully working with GPIV on my current research.  Soon I will send you a report of a few small issues I have found in GPIV and when the research is finish a link to the project website.

PS: I would like to collaborate with the development of the software, however I do not have more experience in Linux programming beyond C++. From your point of view, which is the best way to start?, Any advice?. Eventually next year, we can help with post-processing or may be adding some stereo features.

Best regards

Wernher

• Gerber van der Graaf

Hi Wernher,
      Until now I have not started yet with the packaging of gpiv/gptivtools/libgpiv 0.6.0 for Debian, but I definitely will do that. But it often it takes several weeks before the packages are uploaded into the official repository of Debian (after it has been accepted by a sponsor) and will be available for Ubuntu. So maybe I can help you a bit which problems you meet while building 0.6.0, so you can work ASAP with the new software?

I supose you configured libgpiv, gpiv and/or gpivtools with the --enable-omp option and you have libgpomp installed.

Of course, any collaboration is very welcome! The software has been written in plain C-language. I do not regard myself as a very skilled programmer. So I always tried to keep the code as simple and readable as possible: no complicated tricks when not really necessary. But I admit that for an outsider it might look a bit complicated and confusing. Once you start looking at the code and questions pop up, I am open to explain the  how's and why's. Additionally, there are some Perl and Python scripts. Especially the Python language might be very advantageous to learn and use. Besides its not difficult and quite fun to learn it from the tutorials found at the python.org website.

My first recommendation is to extend the code only to your own needs. The second recommandation is to write an extension or new feature in a (set of) simple (Python) script or in a C-language command-line program and with a minimum of options. Later on, the functionality can be implemented into Libgpiv and also be used from the Gpiv GUI program (which is quite complicated as a starting point). I think the best way to learn a bit the software from inside out is by having a look at a small command-line program, for example for post-processing like src/post/scale.c from the gpivtools package. You will see there is quite a common way how these programs have been implemented.

Of course I'd like to see Stereo PIV and, eventually, Tomographic PIV in the Gpiv software. Though at first less interesting, but it also would be a good idea to redo the tests that have been performed during the PIV-challenge project on the newer software. For this,  the software doesn't need to be extended, but only some scripts to perform the tests will have to be written. An other suggestion is to research if other correlation-peak search algorithm will result into more accurate estimators. For example, Levenberg-Marquardt parameter estimation on the 3x3 or 5x5 surrounding points of the correlation peak. This has been implemented in the past, but I threw it out as I did not see advantages at that moment and because I used the Numerical Recipies code, that cannot be included in GNU software.

Pick whatever you'd like (and need!). When you have made your choice, lets discuss the detailes further.

Gerber

• Gerber van der Graaf

I have build the .deb packages of libgpiv, gpivtools and gpiv for the i386 CPU. They can be found at:
      http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libgpiv
      http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gpivtools
      http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gpiv

Including the lines:
      deb http://mentors.debian.net/debian main
      deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian main
      in /etc/apt/sources.list and "apt-get update" with "apt-get install gpiv(tools)" will install the library/program(s) on Debian/Unstable.

As soon as a Debian Developer will sponor and accept the packages, they will be uploaded to the formal GNU/Debian repository and will be rebuild for the other CPU architectures GNU/Debian is supporting. Though, this may take some time. In the mean time you can download the source from this repository with:
      "apt-get source --build libgpiv3"
      etc. resulting on your architecture bin packages. This will also install all needed libraries from the Debian repository to build and use the libgpiv3/gpivtools/gpiv packages. Installing then is done with: dpkg --instal libgpiv3_0.6.0-1.deb

Gerber