linux updates ?

Help
2007-07-02
2013-04-16
  • Hi people,

I found your wonderful product. It works great. I would like to catch up with the updates, but why do you only support windows in your latest updates ? It's not fair. Python is open source, so why do you support closed source windows first ?

Gr, Rik

• francois
      francois
      2007-07-19

""" I found your wonderful product. It works great."""

Thanks! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier (I'm not sure if it comes to my gmail address, I'll have to check)

"""
      I would like to catch up with the updates, but why do you only support windows in your latest updates ?
      """

If you look at the GPicSync wiki you could see that with one command-line  (what is know has a "SVN checkout") you can have the latest version.

So you need to open a shell and copy the following line:

svn checkout http://gpicsync.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ gpicsync

Look at the readme.txt for the dependencies (I test GPicSync on my Ununtu "Feisty Fawn" box from time to time)

Bugs reports are welcome.

"""
      It's not fair. Python is open source, so why do you support closed source windows first ?
      """

I'm not sure you understand exactly what is Open Source.
      The fact that Python is Open Source doesn't means it shouldn't be packaged on Windows first (I've got only 2% users on Linux and nearly zero contribution from the Linux world). I assume most Linux activists should know how to use a shell and make a SVN checkout.

It's been 6 years I'm an Open Source and Free Contents "activist" and I was mainly using Linux for both Desktop projects and server projects.

It's been 6 years I'm hearing it is now the year of Linux for the Desktop ... it never happened.

I think Linux is awesome and for the servers I wouldn't change for nothing.

But like other activist I think that it is vital to touch Windows users with *multiplateform" Open Source software to spread FLOSS.
      So please don't lecture me on this (it takes me time to use only Open Source and multiplateform libraries so that very few Linux users can use GPicSync).

Thanks

francois