Menu

Unable to play videos since upgrading to Chrome 37

mahony576
2014-08-28
2014-08-29
  • mahony576

mahony576 - 2014-08-28

Chrome updated itself to version 37 yesterday, and I can no longer play videos that used to work.

The problem seems to be that the rules for what video types can play have been updated:
    Issue 53193 - chromium - HTMLMediaElement.canPlayType gives false positives in Chrome - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting

Issue 53193 - chromium - HTMLMediaElement.canPlayType gives false positives in Chrome - An op...
    Status: Started Owner: amogh.bi...@samsung.com Pri-3 OS-All Cr-Internals-Media-Codecs Cr-UI-Polish Type-Bug Cr-Blink merge-merged-git-svn merge-merged-2062 Blocked on: issue 388317
    View on code.google.com Preview by Yahoo

I am wondering if other people have run into this problem. It seems to me this is a bug in Chrome, where the rules were tightened too much, since this used to work. I don't know which rules were changed, so I don't know how to fix this from the client encoding side, other than shot in the dark guessing.

• mahony576

mahony576 - 2014-08-29

I found this bug entered against chrome, at least someone else shares the opinion the problem is in chrome:
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=408552

• Romain Bouqueau

Romain Bouqueau - 2014-08-29

The Canary version was broken. Apparently it just went to production...