Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

googsystray using incorrect gdm database

Help
2009-12-18
2013-04-25
  • Zach Jablons
    Zach Jablons
    2009-12-18

I get the line `googsystray.gXlib.error.XauthError: ~/.Xauthority:  No such file or directory: '/var/run/gdm/auth-for-zj1992-TTcmxe/database'` in googsystray.err.log whenever I try to run googsystray. It should be looking in either tiTuro or zli2T6 for that, is there any way to fix this?

• Jim Duchek
    Jim Duchek
    2009-12-18

It gets the authority db from the XAUTHORITY environment variable (which is apparently set to the zj1992 db file), or from ~/.Xauthority if the environment variable doesn't exist.  (I do not know why the log message says something about ~/.Xauthority there… I didn't write that code.) 

A quick fix would be to run googsystray like 'XAUTHORITY=<correct db file> /usr/bin/googsystray', but that might cause problems in the future.  Are you running it from the WM or from a terminal?  What WM are you using?

• Zach Jablons
    Zach Jablons
    2009-12-18

Well, it would seem that running it from Compiz works, but from openbox or from the terminal it generates this error.

• Jim Duchek
    Jim Duchek
    2009-12-18

What version of Openbox?

• Zach Jablons
    Zach Jablons
    2009-12-18

• Jim Duchek
    Jim Duchek
    2009-12-18

Hrm.  Could you verify that $XAUTHORITY is set incorrectly?  (that is, fire up a terminal from Openbox and do 'env | grep XAUTH')

• Zach Jablons
    Zach Jablons
    2009-12-18

Huh. It's not even set correctly in Compiz. But it still works. That's odd…

• Jim Duchek
    Jim Duchek
    2009-12-18

Now that IS odd… I'm afraid I don't know much about the internal workings of gdm, I'm not sure I can help much more than this.  I'm fairly sure, though, that gdm is the one responsible for setting that environment variable correctly, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't be, especially since it's clearly setting it to _something_.  Possibly some old files lying around in /var/run/gdm or something?

• Zach Jablons
    Zach Jablons
    2009-12-18

It's alright, it's working now so I'll just let it work. Thanks for your help.