Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

#91 Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Support

closed-fixed
Per Persson
None
5
2004-03-29
2003-10-29
Anonymous
No

Allows gnuplot to compile on OS X 10.3

There were two modifications

1. S_OUTPUT had to be renamed (conflicted with an
OpenTransport constant) In this patch, I renamed it to
S_OUTPUT_. Might want to look into putting this into some
kind of namespace to "properly" fix this problem.

2. removed the is_3d_plot extern from tkcanvas.trm. For
some reason this was causing a conflict with is_3d_plot
from command.h, even though they were supposed to be
the same thing. Very strange. Perhaps there's some
mysterious macro screwing around behind the scenes?

Contact Info:
Ethan Tira-Thompson
ejt@andrew.cmu.edu

Discussion

  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=27517

    1) C has no namespaces to move to, and certainly not
    regarding the preprocessing phase. You just have to avoid
    stuff already used by others.

    2) Please explain that "conflict" in more detail. The error
    message from the compiler would be needed at minimum, a
    preprocessed source file might be even more helpful (--> -
    save-temps option of GCC).

     
  • Gordon Miller
    Gordon Miller
    2003-11-24

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=125426

    When doing a build on my MacOSX 10.3 system I got the same
    error. The conflict arises due to a duplicate declaration
    of S_OUTPUT. It is declared in gnuplot as en enumeration
    and is also declared within an unnamed enumeration in one of
    the MacOSX header files (I can't remember which one off of
    the top of my head).

    I performed the same modifications (not using the patch) as
    the original author of this patch and was able to
    successfully compile gnuplot from CVS. Of course, having
    one of the enumerations terminate with an underscore while
    the rest do not isn't really appealing. As for namespaces I
    think that coming up with a more unique naming convention
    (GP_S_OUTPUT maybe) would be nice. I'd be more than happy
    to work on a renaming to get it working cleanly.

    I do development on both Linux and MacOSX

     
    • assigned_to: nobody --> broeker
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=27517

    Today I checked in a patch to fix issue 1) (renamed S_OUTPUT
    to SET_OUTPUT --- appending a _ just felt wrong).

    That still leaves me puzzled as to issue 2). I've yet to
    see a description of that "conflict".

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=28680

    Your patch worked fine for me. Builds and isntalls without a hitch
    now.

    Chris Fonnesbeck
    chris at fonnesbeck.org

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=27517

    Per, I'm handing this over to you. I guess this can be
    closed as Fixed, but have no way of checking.

     
    • assigned_to: broeker --> persquare
     
  • Per Persson
    Per Persson
    2004-03-29

    • status: open --> closed-fixed
     
  • Per Persson
    Per Persson
    2004-03-29

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=350616

    1) Is fixed by the 2003-12-01 patch (as well as the new aquaterm.trm)
    2) I don't see the problems described by the original poster.

    So, I consider this issue Fixed and will close it as such. Should (2)
    surface again then it should be assigned a new issue # of its own.