Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Printing to a Postscript Printer under WinXP

Help
Nick
2006-12-04
2013-02-10
  • Nick
    Nick
    2006-12-04

Printing under Windows using v4.2 RC2 to a Xerox Phaser 8500DN postscript printrt produces monochrome output.  Printing to a different printer produces colour correctly.  Is there a setting somewhere to get colour printing from Gnuplot?  I have tried "set term postscript color" with "set output "PRN"" but that doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Nick

• Please be more specific.  We need the exact (minimal) command sequence that produces the problem.  What kind of monochrome output did you get: gray-shaded, or solid black&white?

If you're using the postscript terminal, gnuplot has no idea what the printer will be.  For all it knows, the plot goes to a file you'll then print to 20 different postscript printers.

• Nick
        Nick
        2006-12-05

Sorry for the lack of details.  I was trying to print in two ways:

1) Click on the system menu of the plot window and select Options -> Print... Then click OK on the standard Windows print dialogue that appears.

2) From the Gnuplot command window select File -> Printer Output, replot, File -> Window Output.

This works fine printing to an HP Deskjet 1220C, but on our Xerox 8500DN PS printer it produces black lines only (solid and dashed to differentiate the lines) - not shades of gray.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for looking at this.

Nick

• I'm inclined to write this off as a typical Windows "feature", possibly combined with a buggy printer driver or bad choice of default options for the printer.  It should help to change settings like the default rendering method of that printer.

OTOH, the printer code is quite certainly the shadiest corner of the Windows-specific code in gnuplot.

• Nick
            Nick
            2006-12-06

When you say it should help to change settings like the default rendering method, do you mean within the printer properties or within Gnuplot?  If you mean within the printer properties I can't see any setting which would cause this (it prints in colour fine from all other applications).  But if you are referring to a setting within Gnuplot please could you elaborate further?

Thanks.

Nick