Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Help With Erro

Help
2009-10-04
2013-02-10
  • Robert Pruitt
    Robert Pruitt
    2009-10-04

Trying to run gnuplot in CentOs 5.2 gives me this error - advice appreciated.

*G N U P L O T
    Version 4.0 patchlevel 0
    last modified Thu Apr 15 14:44:22 CEST 2004
    System: Linux 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5
    Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004
    Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
    This is gnuplot version 4.0. Please refer to the documentation
    for command syntax changes. The old syntax will be accepted
    throughout the 4.0 series, but all save files use the new syntax.
    Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
    The gnuplot FAQ is available from
    http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/
    Send comments and requests for help to
    <gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net>
    Send bugs, suggestions and mods to
    <gnuplot-bugs@lists.sourceforge.net>
    Terminal type set to 'x11'
    gnuplot> plot sin(x)
    gnuplot: unable to open display ''
    gnuplot: X11 aborted.*

I know this is an old version. This is what I get from a # yum install gnuplot

I figured to make things easier, I would get this running, then upgrade later.

Thanks.

• The problem has nothing to do with the version of gnuplot.  You installed an X11 version of gnuplot, but apparently you don't have a working X11 on your box.  That can't work.

Now I don't know much about this  "yum" thingy, but it's obviously quite broken.  What good is a package manager if can't even detect a blatantly obvious conflict as that?

• Robert Pruitt
    Robert Pruitt
    2009-10-05

I understand the problem will reveal itself to be one of ignorance on my part, and I appreciate your guidance.

Yes, I do have X11 installed and fully functioning on my CentOs 5.2 setup. In fact, gnuplot runs nicely from my Gnome desktop. However, I am trying to get it to run from a PuTTY connection. It appears I might be able to do this with Xming, maybe that's my only option, but I hope not.

• Edoardo Pasca
    Edoardo Pasca
    2009-10-05

Then it has nothing to do with Gnuplot: you should forward X connections as well.
    Question: do you connect with putty via ssh? If so you should use something like "ssh -X you@yourcomputer"

Then the question whether the server will or will not enable X connections opens.