undefined reference to `forkpty'

Help
2011-10-19
2013-06-03
  • Daniel Molina
    Daniel Molina
    2011-10-19

I'm trying to compile the svn version in a machine with Trisquel.

I configured with cmake:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/My_Programs -DHDF=OFF -DHDF5=OFF -DFFTW=OFF

but when I did made, it was the result

Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/gdl.dir/gdl.cpp.o
    Linking CXX executable gdl
    /home/guest/My_Programs/lib/libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o): In function `posix_tmpnam':
    /home/guest/Compiling/Python-2.7.2/./Modules/posixmodule.c:7370: warning: the use of `tmpnam_r' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
    /home/guest/My_Programs/lib/libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o): In function `posix_tempnam':
    /home/guest/Compiling/Python-2.7.2/./Modules/posixmodule.c:7317: warning: the use of `tempnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
    /home/guest/My_Programs/lib/libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o): In function `posix_openpty':
    posixmodule.c:(.text+0x176c): undefined reference to `openpty'
    /home/guest/My_Programs/lib/libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o): In function `posix_forkpty':
    posixmodule.c:(.text+0x2183): undefined reference to `forkpty'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: ***  Error 1
    make: ***  Error 2
    make: ***  Error 2

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2011-10-20

hum, we always have trouble with Python: too many changes in short time, too many flavours on various OSX and Distros, missing headers, fluctuating naming conventions … (it is not only for GDL: my colleagues always complain !).

If you don't need it, please deactivate it ! (configure … -without-python OR configure … -with-python=no OR cmake … -DPYTHON=off)

Why do you deactivate FFTw ? This is fast and reliable.

• Daniel Molina
    Daniel Molina
    2011-10-20

Oh, I don't need python. It's a perfect solution for me.

I deactivated the FFTw because I hadn't it installed and after the cmake message,

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:399 (message):
      FFTW3 is required but was not found.

I just tried avoiding more compiling problems. I've read in the README

"The FFTW library is (optionally) used for the FFT function."

The FFT function is used automatically by gdl?, or it is only used when you want to use it?

I think it would be a good idea to write in someplace which libraries are for the general better performing and which for satisfying particular needs that you should know their name if you are interested on.

• Daniel Molina
    Daniel Molina
    2011-10-21

I installed GDL correctly with cmake, but I still have the sed problem if I follow the ./configure way. Some clues? I'd like to help to find the problem.