No configure file in GDL 0.9.4 download?

Help
Michael
2013-10-30
2013-10-30
  • Michael
    Michael
    2013-10-30

I downloaded the GDL 0.9.4 tarball and opened the installation instructions, which start off with run ./configure. But there is no configure file with the download, the only files are,
    AUTHORS config.h.in gdl.kdevelop MAP_INSTALL README.GRIB
    ChangeLog configure.in HACKING NEWS src/
    CMakeLists.txt COPYING INSTALL PYTHON.txt templates/
    CMakeModules/ doc/ INSTALL.CMake quick_start_GDL.sh testsuite/
    config.h.cmake Doxyfile Makefile.am README TODO

Is there another step before ./configure that is missing from the INSTALL file?

Thanks!

• Please try with "cmake ." instead of "./configure"
    Then, "make" and "make install".

HTH,
    Sylwester

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2013-10-30

If you really want to use the "configure" way you can try first:

autoreconf -vif
    then
    configure

BUT you may have after trouble(s), in "configure" or during "make", related to plplot version. I think it should be OK for Plplot in 5.9.6 -- 5.9.9 but not for 5.9.10 (change wid/width)

Yes, "configure" is deprecated, "cmake" is now the way we prefer to maintain.

Alain

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2013-10-30

I just tested on an old CentOS 5.9 that with the current CVS (should be the same with the 0.9.4 TGZ) the "configure" way is still OK, even for the
    "good" functionalities (Eigen3 ;-)

tar -zxf gdl.tgz
    cd gdl
    mkdir m4 //not always mandatory
    autoreconf -vif
    ./configure --without-python --with-hdf=no --with-hdf5=no --with-pslib=no \ --with-plplotdir=$HOME/GDL/plplot-5.9.6/Compilation/ \ --with-Magick=$HOME/GDL/ImageMagick-6.5.9-0/Compilation \ --without-GraphicsMagick --with-eigen3=$HOME/GDL/Eigen/Eigen3.1.2/
    make [-j 20] // to adjust with your Core number !

this is an example, e.g. if GraphicsMagick is available as a package it is better to use it ...

To have working plots, you may have to set (here in bash):
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/GDL/plplot-5.9.6/Compilation/lib

I cannot guaranty results. I am quite sure it will not be OK with plplot-5.9.10
    because we did not manage the change in wid/width

HTH

Alain

• Michael
    Michael
    2013-10-30

I just wasn't sure what the proper way to install was since the current INSTALL file seems to be old. I was able to use cmake and successfulled installed the new version (after satisfying some dependencies).

Thanks!