Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

libreadline.so undefined references

Help
ghassel
2012-08-01
2013-06-03
  • ghassel
    ghassel
    2012-08-01

I am trying to install GDL on Ubuntu 12.04.   I think I have installed all of the required packages, but I keep getting the same set of errors:

libreadline.so: undefined reference to 'tgetstr'
    and the same for "tputs', 'BC', 'tgetent', 'tgetflag', 'tgoto', 'UP', 'tgetnum', and 'PC'.

I get this same set of errors if I use ./configure , make   or cmake

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    -George

• Hi,

It seems you're missing the ncurses library.
    Which version of GDL are you using?
    What does configure/cmake say when looking for ncurses?

Sylwester

• ghassel
    ghassel
    2012-08-06

Thanks for the reply !    I am trying to install  gdl-0.9.2

Here's what I can find in config.log about ncurses:

configure:15496: checking for initscr in -lncurses
    configure:15521: g++ -o conftest -g -O2  -lcurses conftest.cpp -lncurses  -ldl  -ldl >&5
    configure:15521: $? = 0
    configure:15530: result: yes

and

ac_cv_lib_ncurses_initscr=yes

CMakeOutput.log says:

Determining if the function wsyncup exists in the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcurses.so passed with the following output:
    Change Dir: /home/ghassel/GDL/gdl-0.9.2/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:/usr/bin/make "cmTryCompileExec/fast"
    /usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build
    make: Entering directory `/home/ghassel/GDL/gdl-0.9.2/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
    /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /home/ghassel/GDL/gdl-0.9.2/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
    Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o
    /usr/bin/gcc   -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=wsyncup   -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o   -c /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.c
    Linking C executable cmTryCompileExec
    /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/link.txt -verbose=1
    /usr/bin/gcc     -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=wsyncup   -lcurses CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o  -o cmTryCompileExec -rdynamic -lcurses
    make: Leaving directory `/home/ghassel/GDL/gdl-0.9.2/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

It doesn't seem that either looks for ncurses explicitly, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.  Are there any other tests I can do it see if it is installed correctly? 

Thank you very much!