Mac, Simple SPAWN: Error managing child process

Help
2013-12-30
2013-12-30
  • Dick Jackson
    Dick Jackson
    2013-12-30

Hi,

I'm trying to get rolling with GDL and to help a friend to do the same. Both of us are using a MacBook running 10.9 Mavericks, with GDL 1:0.9.4-1 installed using fink (more conveniently with FinkCommander). Things are working fine on my machine, but on his we stumbled on a Dialog_Message() call, which failed in calling zenity. The zenity package is installed fine, and can be called from a Terminal window, even like this:

GDL> $zenity --help

The trouble is in running the command using Spawn, and it's not just zenity, even this simple test failed:

GDL> spawn,'ls',stdout & print,stdout
    % SPAWN: Error managing child process.

I've looked this up and down to the limit of my Unix knowledge, and I can't see a reason why his system would fail at this while mine succeeds: we're both using "administrator" accounts, /tmp is writable on both, several other leads from Googling "SPAWN: Error managing child process" did not apply...

There is another detail that may well be connected to this issue. On my machine, FinkCommander reports this:

gdl
    GNU Data Language

Installed: 1:0.9.4-1
    Unstable: None
    Stable: 1:0.9.4-1
    Binary: 1:0.9.4-1

... but his (despite GDL working in every way except SPAWNing, as far as I can tell so far) reports:

gdl
    GNU Data Language

Installed: None
    Unstable: None
    Stable: 1:0.9.4-1
    Binary: 1:0.9.4-1

We have used FinkCommander to Remove and Install his gdl package again, and end up with the same result. Any clues? Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
    -Dick

Dick Jackson Software Consulting
    http://www.d-jackson.com
    Victoria, BC, Canada