Problems installing from source - DYLD / symbol not found

Help
ghassel
2013-11-19
2013-11-23
  • ghassel
    ghassel
    2013-11-19

I have tried installing gdl0.9.4 from source on Snow Leopard using Cmake and the tutorials provided. After some amount of work, I'm able to get cmake, make, and make install to go without errors, but if I try to run gdl, I get the following errors:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _libintl_setlocale
    Referenced from: /usr/local/lib//libps.0.dylib
    Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _libintl_setlocale
    Referenced from: /usr/local/lib//libps.0.dylib
    Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    -George

• Hi, thanks for reporting it. This problem has been discussed for one of Macports packages here: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24954

Apparently, it should be enough to link gdl with -lintl (e.g. ). I don't have access to an OSX machine to test it. Feedback welcome.

I believe a fix should go to gdl/CMakeModules/Findlibps.cmake?

Best,
    Sylwester

• ghassel
    ghassel
    2013-11-21

Hi Sylwester,

Many thanks for this info. Should the -lintl link be issued at the cmake step, make, or make install, or should it go somewhere else?

-George

• Hi,

If you invoke "VERBOSE=1 make" instead of "make", the linker command that fails should appear as one of the last lines of output. It will probably be preceded by coloured "Linking CXX executable gdl". Adding "-lintl" to the compiler arguments in this command, and invoking it manually should help.

HTH,
    Sylwester

• ghassel
    ghassel
    2013-11-23

This correction has fixed it, and GDL now runs. I'm running into another problem that I will ask about in another thread