getting a GDL dev version which compiles

Help
2012-02-18
2013-06-03
  • Daniel Molina
    Daniel Molina
    2012-02-18

Hi,

I often download a dev version of GDL that doesn't compile correctly. However, there is important new code that I want to use, although probably I don't know which is it exactly. Which is the better way of having a compiling installation of GDL and having the bigger amount of dev improvements?

Cheers

• Hi,

Well, if any version does not compile correctly, it is a bug - please try to fix it, and then report either the fix or a description of the problem. Getting such feedback from our "power-users" helps us a lot!

Best,
    Sylwester

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2012-02-21

Hi

You are really unlucky

I make full end-to-end tests (on fresh copy of a CVS update, from "autoreconf -fi" to "make check")
    on various OS (debian, ubuntu, centOS, OSX …) several times a week, without significant problems.
    (when a file is missing or a problem created, we exchange and solve it in less that 24h. This happen less than a day in a month)

Today, only 3 to 5 tests fail in testsuite, due to specific pbs on given OS/CPU (memory on Linux 64b, sem, ce). This is normal.

If you have really a specific OS or CPU, maybe we have to consider it more carefully.

Alain

• Mark
    Mark
    2012-07-19

Hi,

I am still having some issues trying to get the CVS GDL version build on my OSX 10.7 (the 0.9.2 release package version from Fink works fine). 

I am getting the following error when doing the make:

libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.4 Debian-2.4-2ubuntu1, but the
    libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.4.2.
    libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.4 Debian-2.4-2ubuntu1
    libtool: and run autoconf again.
    make: ***  Error 63
    make: ***  Error 1
    make: ***  Error 2

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
    Mark

• Mark
    Mark
    2012-07-19

Follow-up on installation of the dev version of GDL on OS_X 10.7.  After removing files and recompiling, I was able to get past the libtool errors reported above (I also switched to using "cmake" instead of ".compile" (as suggested)).

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/Applications/GDL_developer/gnudatalanguage/gdl/Compilation/ -DPLPLOTDIR=/sw/lib/plplot -DLIBPROJ4=YES -DLIBPROJ4DIR=/Applications/GDL_developer/gnudatalanguage/gdl/libproj4

When performing the build with "make" I get the following error:
    Linking CXX executable gdl
    ld: library not found for -lXext
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any suggestions on where I might find the Xext library for OS X 10.7?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Mark
    Mark
    2012-07-19

As an addendum to the previous message:

The CMakeCashe.txt file says:

//Path to a library.
    X11_Xext_LIB:FILEPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.dylib

which is the correct location of the "libXext.dylib" .

Any help would be very much appreciated as I am stuck at this point.

Thanks

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2012-07-23

Sorry for the delay.

I used to compiled snapshots of the CVS of GDL on a Snow Leopard (10.6.8).
    I do not have "sudo" rights on this machine, just a remote access. I did compiled CMake, GSL, GraphicMagick and Plplot by myself.

No problem at all on CMake, GM and the GSL sides.

I did succeed at the end with plplot 5.9.9, but I need to deactivate large part of drivers:

$ ../cmake-2.8.6/bin/cmake . -DENABLE_f77=off -DENABLE_f95=off -DPLD_aqt=off -DPLD_wxwidgets=off -DPLD_tcl=off -DENABLE_tcl=off -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/Users/coulais/GDL/plplot-5.9.9/Compilation/
    $ make -j 10
    $ make install

I used the "configure" way for GDL:
    $ cd gdl-0.9.2cvs120720
    $ mkdir m4
    $ autoreconf -vfi
    $ ./configure  -with-gsl=/Users/coulais/GDL/gsl-1.13/Compilation/ -with-plplot=/Users/coulais/GDL/plplot-5.9.9/Compilation/ -with-GraphicsMagick=/Users/coulais/GDL/GraphicsMagick-1.3.15/Compilation/ -with-netcdf=no -with-hdf=no -with-hdf5=no -with-python=no -with-readlinedir=/opt/local/ -with-pslib=no -with-openmp=no -with-wxWidgets=no -with-Magick=no 

then:
    $ make -j 12

$ make check
    reports 4 problems:
    "test_ce.pro"    -> not a real problem
    "test_finite.pro"      -> hum, due to the new keyword Sign, we have no problem on the Unix side :(
    test_file_search.pro"           -> on this system, Maj and Min in filenames are not distinguished :(
    (HFS+ without case sensitive)
    "test_image_statistics.pro"  -> this is related to READ_JPEG, we are exploring that, seems to be related to third party JPEG lib.

HTH.