multi-page PostScript, getlogin() failed!

Help
2012-12-11
2013-06-03
  • I have problems with ps device. When I use the following command including "device,/close",

set_plot,'ps'
    device, file='data/spectrum_A.ps'
    plot,nu,data(8,9,*,0)
    device,/close

I get the error,

% Warning: getlogin() failed!

When I remove the "device,/close" line and write,

set_plot,'ps'
    device, file='data/spectrum_A.ps'
    plot,nu,data(8,9,*,0)

I get the error,

% Warning: multi-page PostScript not supported yet (FIXME!)

Either way I am not getting the desired ps file, an empty ps file is created. Please help….

• By the way I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2012-12-12

First time I read report about this "getlogin()", to be checked !
    pb with blanck PS is known :(

if you are compiling by yourself GDL, it would be better to desactive libps (-without-pslib)
    on U 12.04, I would advice to desactivate IM and switch to GM
    _

We hope to have very soon a revised version of some Graphical parts, thanks to Gilles !

Alain_

• Hi,

"Warning: getlogin() failed!" is just a warning and tells you that GDL was not able to retrieve your unix username to be put into the PS file in a header comment. This happens e.g. when using the screen terminal, and it is handled by gdl. That's not an error - just a warning.

"% Warning: multi-page PostScript not supported yet (FIXME!)" is related with the fact that pslib does not handle yet multi-page postscripts. Using "ENCAPSULATED" keyword to device disables use of pslib so you can try this way. You should then get a multi-page eps (which is not PostScript standard compliant, but that what's the plplot library outputs).

HTH,
    Sylwester