Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Segmentation Fault: 11 OS X

Help
slkdjf
2013-09-11
2013-09-24
  • slkdjf
    slkdjf
    2013-09-11

I'm having trouble running gdl on OS X 10.8.4. I installed it using macports and it seemed to install fine, except it errors out anytime I try to run it.
    via
    $ sudo port install gnudatalanguage
    $ gdl
    Segmentation Fault: 11

• Craig Swenson
    Craig Swenson
    2013-09-18

I'm having the same issue. I ran a backtrace on gdl, and here's what I get:

Starting program: /opt/local/bin/gdl
    Reading symbols for shared libraries ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++....................................warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/blocksort.o" - no debug information available for "blocksort.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/huffman.o" - no debug information available for "huffman.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/crctable.o" - no debug information available for "crctable.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/randtable.o" - no debug information available for "randtable.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/compress.o" - no debug information available for "compress.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/decompress.o" - no debug information available for "decompress.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_mports_dports_archivers_bzip2/bzip2/work/bzip2-1.0.6/bzlib.o" - no debug information available for "bzlib.c".

....................... done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
    Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x00000000007fffe7
    0x00007fff8e4a80ef in std::string::compare ()

bzip2 was installed as a dependency of gdl, and I verified that it exists:

$ which bzip2
    /opt/local/bin/bzip2

Additionally I don't know why it would be looking for the bzip2 library files in the macports 'build' folder, those are long gone after the build completes (at least I think they are).

EDIT:

Actually, I should mention that like Randall W below, gdl was working for several months (maybe the last 5-6 months) and the current issues arose when I was forced to reinstall OS X and reinstall macports and gdl. Whatever the problem is, it only arose in the last few months. Because gdl hasn't changed versions in the last few months, it may be an issue with one of the dependencies.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edit: Craig Swenson 2013-09-24
  • Randall W
    Randall W
    2013-09-22

Same issue although I had originally installed mine about a month ago and it had been working fine until a couple of days ago. Now it segfaults on startup. A few things changed at that time: OSX installed an update and I also installed gnuradio, which pulled in a zillion dependencies. Any debugging advice appreciated- I'm considering the drastic step of a complete un/re install of macports since I use gdl all the time.

• Craig Swenson
      Craig Swenson
      2013-09-24

If you look at the edit I added to my previous post, you'll see that I had gdl working for quite some time and it wasn't until I had to do a complete reinstall, from scratch, that gdl stopped working. So I don't a complete un/re-install will help you much. Though if it does, let me know. Maybe it has to do with the order that I installed my various software.