Help
AK-87
2011-04-25
2013-06-03
  • AK-87
    AK-87
    2011-04-25

Hi!
    I'm only beginner in Linux. A few weeks ago i discovered Ubuntu to myself and decided to switch to Linux fully. now I'm looking up a replacement for programs i used on Windows. I was glad when i found GDL, because i needed IDL for my studying so i installed GDL from Ubuntu repositories. I can type gdl in command line and type some idl commands later. But I cannot understand how to run *.pro files with GDL. I tried "gdl < file.pro" command and it works, but GDL does not perceive END, ENDFOR, ect… commands in that case. So i don't know how to start working with GDL and looking up some IDE for it. So could you help me with
    - find the way to run *.pro files in GDL
    - advise me some IDE where i can work with GDL

Thank you

P.S. Sorry for my bad English :)

• Hello,

1. Be aware that the Ubuntu GDL package is obsolete - it is based on the GDL version released in September 2009. Perhaps you could try using the Debian package instead which might be compatible:
    http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnudatalanguage

2. Tu run a procedure from a file you can use the "gdl -e procedure_name" call sequence, that is if you have a file named hello.pro, that contains:

pro hello
      print, 'Hello world!'
    end

you can run it by typing in your shell prompt:
    $ gdl -e hello

Alternatively, you can run GDL, and simply type the procedure's name:

$ gdl
    GDL> hello

3. I don't know of any IDE that would support GDL out of the box, but both vim and emacs have support for IDL/GDL/PV-WAVE syntax highlighting.

HTH,
    Sylwester