GDL and the IDL ASTRONOMY USER'S LIBRARY

Charlyms
2012-11-14
2013-06-03
  • Charlyms
    Charlyms
    2012-11-14

Does it makes sense to "add" the routines of the IDL ASTRONOMY USER'S LIBRARY to GDL?
    And if can anyone explain how?
    Regards
    Charlyms

• Hi, the answer depends on what you mean by "add". As far as I know, a significant part of the library works well with GDL. To use the routines it's enough to add the library location to the GDL's seach path list (e.g. by setting the GDL_PATH env. var).

HTH,
    Sylwester

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2012-11-15

$ export GDL_PATH='+/my/path/to/GDL/src/pro/:+/my/path/to/AstronLibV4.0/pro/'
    $/my/path/to/GDL/src/gdl
    then, in GDL, print, !path to check whether the path to AstronLib was really set.

I have a successful daily usage of a limited subset of AstronLib programs in GDL (e.g.: FORPRINT and READCOL; MRDFITS, READFITS and WRITEFITS) on various OS, including 32/64bits CPU. (Some procedures in the HEALPix lib. is using codes from AstronLib, and we have a large test suite for HEALpix … )

Report of troubles and crashes will be greatly appreciated (bug report), **with details** (e.g. links to data). Due to significant changes in each revision of the AstronLib, we mandatory need to have information about the version you are using.

Up to now, no regression test suite for AstronLib is available into GDL testsuite. Suggestion or draft welcome !

Alain

• Charlyms
    Charlyms
    2012-11-22

Thank you all, I failed at last.
    I think GDL is no propper lib to manage routines like ".r viewimage.pro", viewimage  or ".r radmc3d_gui", radmc3d_gui.
    Right?
    Charlyms

• Alain C.
    Alain C.
    2012-11-23

The codes you are speaking about are part of Radmc3D code, not part of AstroLib you were speaking about before.

In the version 0.33 of Radmc3D I tested, they used Graphic Objects we don't have now in GDL.

Alain

• Charlyms
    Charlyms
    2012-11-25

Hi Alain,
    thank you for this adjustment (but why it doesn´t work with GDL at all)?
    Regards
    Charlyms