GDL installation on Ubuntu 11.10

alex
2012-04-04
2013-06-03
  • alex
    alex
    2012-04-04

I am trying to install GDL (0.9.2 tarball) on an Ubuntu 11.10 machine since I'm interested in using the GDL python module to call IDL code from Python.
    I installed all the required libraries.
    The ./configure phase ends apparently without errors; the make phase seems to end without errors, too but I cannot find any executable nor any libgdl.so.0.0.0 file.
    make check produces all the errors related to the execution of the .PRO files since a gdl executable is lacking.
    Can anyone help me?

• Hello,

Normally, as mentioned in the INSTALL file, the python module is created in src/.libs (for autotools-based build).
    If it's not there, inspecting the make's output should provide some hint as to if and where the library is created.

HTH,
    Sylwester

• alex
    alex
    2012-04-06

Thanks for your reply.
    I could not find any .lib directory in src.
    Apparently 'make' did not output any error messages.

Alex

• Well, it's hard to tell what may be going wrong without any log file or error messages.
    Anyhow, please perhaps try to use CMake- instead of autotools-based configuration
    (we're planning to drop the autotools-based build after the next release).

To use CMake, please try:

$ cmake . -DPYTHON_MODULE=ON

instead of

$ ./configure  -enable-python_module

HTH,
    Sylwester

• alex
    alex
    2012-04-08

I already tried to use CMake, but the result was the same.
    As a matter of fact, when using 'make', in the src folder I could find source files such as *.cpp and *.hpp as well as *.o files, but no executable.
    As I already told there are apparently no errors from ./configure and make operations.
    make lasts a lot (tens of minutes),

thanks,
    Alex

• alex
    alex
    2012-04-11

After having reinstalled some packages, I eventually succeeded to build a gdl executable using
    cmake . -DPYTHON_MODULE=ON instead of ./configure -enable-python_module.
    There is no "src/.libs" subdir and I could not find any  "libgdl.so.0.0.0" file.
    There is only a "src/libgdl.so" in src.
    Is it the library to put into the python site-packages (e.g. /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages) directory as GDL.so as described in the file INSTALL?

thanks,
    Alex

• Yes - the .so file is the Python module.

• alex
    alex
    2012-04-13

It works.
    Apart from the instructions contained in the file PYTHON.txt, is there any documentation about GDL calls from python, examples, howtos?

thanks,
    Alex

• The only example in the documentation as of now is:
    print, python('numpy', 'arange', 4.)  
    (http://gnudatalanguage.sf.net/gdl.pdf)
    Contributions very welcome!!

• alex
    alex
    2012-04-13

I meant documentation/examples about python which calls GDL functions, procedures, scripts, etc.
    thanks!