Help
Sergio
2008-05-25
2013-03-19
  • Sergio
    Sergio
    2008-05-25

Hi Catenary,

Maybe you can provide to me some help ? This time installing Gnofract (Solaris/sparc) the build was fine as usual, and i got the message about PyGTk needed. Allright, i builded PyGtk and all prerequisites, but now launching gnofract4d i got an import fault ("no module named fract4dc"), that means the first launched procedure of this script. As well i desinstalled all i made with PyGtk, Pygobject, Glib, but launching gnofract4d alone i get allways the import fault. Same thing rebuilding Gnofract.
    Of course a solution can be to reinstall the OS itself and rebuild Gnofract to obtain the point where PyGtk is needed, but probably the issue (fract4dc import fault) is very easy to solve. As you are especially experimented about, maybe you have any idea ? Of course my fract4d.so looks good, at the right place, i suppose that my PATHEs are conform, no unresolved symbol, etc.

Cheers,

Sergio

• Catenary
      Catenary
      2008-05-26

Hi,

Well, I can't tell exactly what's going on from this description. My best guess is that there is some unresolved dependency.

Try:

1) run python

2) import fract4dc

See if that works.

If not, run ldd on fract4dc.so - that will tell you what libraries it looks for. Maybe you will spot one which is missing.

Also worth trying is strace. Run "strace python gnofract4d > log.txt" and look through log.txt for errors indicating which file could not be opened.

Good luck!

• Sergio
      Sergio
      2008-06-08

Hi Catenary,

As nothing helped for 64 bits (maybe something in my Python config is wrong about), i finally rebuilded Gnofract in 32 bits, and with my Sun CC Sparc compiler instead Gcc. No problem this time, everything works fine.
      With Gcc of course i have Gnofract running in 64 bits on a PC with Solaris since a year, but here my goal was to obtain it with the Sun compiler, making normally a little faster executables than  Gcc. Now the challenge is for me to find the exact options to make Gnofract computing the fractals with Sun cc instead gcc, that could be interessant for to get a faster display (can be useful for some heavy fractals)...

Cheers (and thank's),

Sergio    

• Catenary
        Catenary
        2008-06-15

It should be possible to use Sun's CC instead of GCC to compile the code which generates the fractal.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Compiler and change the options there. The sun compiler always used to be in /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc when I last used a Sun box, but that was about 10 years ago so it may have moved since. If you figure it out do post the options here or on the wiki so others can try it out.

• Sergio
          Sergio
          2008-06-15

Hi Catenary,

Yes, yes, i made that immediately after i posted my last message : that works, but i only changed gcc by cc, and the very knowed option -fPIC by -KPIC. The other options i didn't learn yet, but for the moment (and for some fractals i tried, also a little from UltraFractal) that works on Sparc. On x86 the same try, if i good remember, was without success (for me).

- faster or not ? Not very easy to find any difference, but for the moment i tried only formulas i good know, that means which have thereself an easy display...

Cheers,

Sergio

PS : that was with Sun cc from Studio12. Maybe to use Studio11 (or 10) was the reason of my unsuccess on x86.