error - No module named gconf

2005-12-12
2013-04-25
  • raghavkumar
    raghavkumar
    2005-12-12

Today I downloaded and installed gnochm ater many caliberation and manuvering I managed to reach the from where i am totally stucked and SUCKED..
    the problem is it simply doesn't start with leaving the following message

You do not have all of the required Python modules to run gnochm.
    Check the gnochm README file for tips on how to fix this.
    What follows is the error description highlighting the problematic module.

No module named gconf

Now i have cehcked for everything but this gconf mystery is getting on to my nerves
    PLEASE HELP ME ..as I have to stick to linux and I have got important e-books in .chm extendion without which my project is stucked upon..
    and NO readme file also does'nt help.

• Rubens Ramos
      Rubens Ramos
      2005-12-12

This error indicates that you do not have the gnome python module for gconf. As you have not mentioned which  distro/version you are using I cannot tell you which package to get, but usually they are called:

gnome-python-gconf

or something similar.

Hope this helps.

• raghavkumar
      raghavkumar
      2005-12-13

Thanx a lot friend..actually I was thinking along the same lines.I gave the locate command to look for gnome-python2 and i thought that this module must have been preinstalled while installing Python but it was not there so after ur advice I download it and installed it and Viola it worked ..Thanx thanx a lot ...

• mchen
      mchen
      2006-01-05

The rpm name for Fedora Core 4 and above is now:

gnome-python2-gconf

• schmolch
      schmolch
      2006-06-19

does anyone know how to get this gconf-module in Gentoo Linux?

I have the following packages installed:
      [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtk-2.9.2  USE="opengl -doc -numeric -threads" 0 kB [2]
      [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-python-2.15.2  USE="-debug -doc +gtkhtml*" 0 kB [2]
      [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.15.3  USE="X -debug" 0 kB [2]
      [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.14.0  USE="X firefox -debug -doc -mozilla" 0 kB

Regards,
      Sascha