Performance of lisanet build vs gimp.org build

Help
tschundler
2013-11-26
2013-12-10
  • tschundler
    tschundler
    2013-11-26

Overall, I like using the lisanet GIMP builds better, thanks to the tweaks it has. (Thank you!)

But, I notice it seems dramatically slower than the OSX builds from gimp.org:
    * Try with both the lisanet version and the one from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    * Create a 6000x4000 (24MP) canvas (tile cache size is set to default 1GB - more than enough for this one layer test)
    * Make a gradient (pretty simple operation, right?)
    * on gimp.org version, this takes a few seconds, on the lisanet version, this takes about a full minute

Perhaps some compiler optimization flags are missing while building? Or the target CPU is set to something like base i386 instead of something more modern? Or it's not actually using multiple threads? Some other tools, like heal, also feel decidedly slower, but gradient is the worst.

• ...hhhmmm, did you check the settings in GIMP's Preferences -> Environment? Set the 'number of processors to use' to 1 and try it again. Still there?

• tschundler
    tschundler
    2013-12-10

Just tried - it does improve things dramatically. For now, it's fast enough that I don't notice any big difference - thanks! Maybe that should be the default in lisanet builds?

But that seems to only be needed on the Lisanet build, and so still begs the question of what is different.