Saving without export

Help
asiga
2012-11-19
2013-05-15
  • asiga
    asiga
    2012-11-19

Do you know of any workaround or hack for working with Gimp 2.8 in a non-XCF format without having to use export, and without getting warning dialogs for non-saved images if you exported them but not saved in XCF?

If there's no workaround nor hack, this single reason can make me move back to 2.6, or even make me stop using Gimp and move to a commercial alternative, because I sometimes work with XCF, but other times I need to work with lots of non-XCF images, and the new file format behaviour is too annoying for tasks like that.

• asiga
    asiga
    2012-11-19

I just found a workaround which works fine for me, and lets me work with 2.8 in non-XCF formats with the same ease as in previous Gimp versions.

The workaround is this simple (yet smart) plugin:
    http://shallowsky.com/blog/gimp/gimp-save-export-clean.html

• :-))

I've written a patch and bzuilt a new GIMP.

Now you can save (without export and without the dialog about unsaved images) all images with only one layer (PNG JPEG, TIFF, etc…)

I've made this configurable. Just go to Preferences -> Environment -> Saving Images -> "Force to save only in XCF image format".

"Save as" / "Export" / "Overwrite" work as in plain GIMP 2.8.

You can download it from here

http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/gimponosx/GIMP%20Mountain%20Lion/Gimp-2.8.2-savex3-MountainLion.dmg

Have fun …

… and spread the word about this version :-)

-skl

• asiga
    asiga
    2012-12-17

Awesome!! It works just like the official 2.8 _should_ work!! THANKS A LOT!!

I hope you update the SnowLeopard version with this new feature (I use Mountain Lion at work, and Snow Leopard at home).

Btw, my suggestion about a Tiger build sometime ago has now lost interest because my Tiger machine died :-(   I no longer have a Tiger machine, so I wouldn't use such build now…