GIMP 2.8... on Tiger?

Anonymous
2012-12-30
2013-05-15

• Anonymous
    2012-12-30

Still happily using GIMP 2.6.11 on Tiger, but somewhat enviously looking at the features listed for 2.8.4; I realize some of this relies on what's built into the later Mac OSXs, but can't it be ported as add-ons to GIMP itself? Have we hit an absolute wall here? The 10.4s and perhaps 10.5s are left behind for good? I think the 2008 crash has put hardware upgrades out of reach for many. Software interventions like TenFourFox have been the saving grace - or evolutionary adaptation, take it as you will. It would be really nice if GIMP likewise kept the updates ported back to us folks with the old limping computers… the "gimps", as it were.

• David W. Scott
    David W. Scott
    2013-01-09

I agree 100%.  I am very thankful to have GIMP 2.6.11 on Tiger. But do wonder if 2.8 can/will make it to our beloved platform. Any news or thoughts?

With TenFourFox, I never feel like my G5 is behind-the-times, Tiger is quick and reliable. I wonder what a native GIMP 2.8 would feel like?

• Michael Berg
    Michael Berg
    2013-05-13

Agree completely. I love GIMP, but having it as a native application on Leopard and Tiger would be a boon for these older machines.