Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Windows GIMP dll anarchy

Help
Tracy
2009-01-24
2012-09-17
  • Tracy
    Tracy
    2009-01-24

I downloaded GIMP 2.6.4 for Windows and when it start it pops up with various errors saying Entry Point Not Found, all involving libglib-2.0.0.dll. I did a search for this file and got no results, even though I checked subfolders, hidden files and folders, and system folders.

I looked at the website FAQ and none of dlls it mentions as a possible source of the problem seems to exist in my WINDOWS\system32 folder. In fact, the only dll on which I got hits was intl.dll, and none were in the system32 folder.

One possible side effect of this is that GIMP doesn't seem to recognize jpg files.

• Tracy
      Tracy
      2009-01-24

I think I got it to work. I uninstalled GIMP 2.6.4, then opened up regedit. I
      deleted all the entries relating to the GIMP and GTK+ programs. Then I
      downloaded 2.6.4 again, installed it, and GIMP started up perfectly. It
      recognizes other file formats, too. I'm guessing that whatever I did, the
      registry or some old files was pointing GIMP to look in the wrong place for
      libglib-2.0.0.dll, and when GIMP couldn't find it, it proceeded to freak out.
      But I'm no expert.

For others reading this, deleting registry entries can be risky; if you delete
      the wrong thing, programs or the computer itself could stop working. Since I
      had no other GTK+ dependent programs on my system, I felt that I was fairly
      safe in deleting the related registry entries. And of course, it could have
      been either my deletion of the GIMP entries, the GTK+ entries, or both that
      fixed the problem.

• Tracy
      Tracy
      2009-01-24

This information might also help:

*My OS is Windows XP.

*I used an older version of GIMP, I think version 2.2, which worked with no trouble at all. I uninstalled it before installing GIMP 2.6.3, which had the same trouble as 2.6.4.

*I used to have Cygwin on the my system, but I uninstalled it some time ago.

*I used to have the GTK+ library installed separately on the system, but when I tried to change to the new version of GIMP, I uninstalled it.

*I've also tried re-installing a standalone version of the GTK+ library to try to remedy my troubles, but this didn't work.

• Tracy
      Tracy
      2009-01-24

Okay, I found libglib-2.0.0.dll in the \GIMP-2.0\bin\ directory, but it still doesn't work. And the other dlls mentioned in the GIMP FAQ are there too, but they are not in the \WINDOWS\System32\ folder. At least I've learned not to trust Windows search...