Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Canon Selphy ES20 - printer does nothing

Help
borav
2008-02-13
2013-05-29
  • borav
    borav
    2008-02-13

I installed Gutenprint 5.1.6 (and before 5.0.w). My Problem happens with both versions:

I can setup my Canon Selphy ES20. The print driver detects, if the printer is connected or not, also if I power in on/off.

But: If I print no error appears. After showing "printing..." in the print driver the the message "Gutenprint Finished page 1..." appears, but nothing happens on the printer (also no signal on the display, etc.)
    Printer is directly connected to MacBook Pro with Leopard 10.5.2

Any idea?

• mbroughtn
      mbroughtn
      2008-02-15

Try resetting the printing system.  Open the Print & Fax System Preference pane.  Control-click (right-click) in the area where printers are listed.  You will see the option to reset the printing system.  The open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) and Repair Permissions for your hard disk.  Hopefully that will resolve your issue.

Matt

• borav
        borav
        2008-03-10

Thanks for the hint - I tried it out, but it does not worked.
        I tried to install the new version of gutenprint 5.1.7 and reinstalled the driver. I can print, but nothing happens.

• mbroughtn
          mbroughtn
          2008-03-11

That sounds more like a communications error than a driver error. 

First, try looking at the CUPS error_log.  You can view it easily in a web browser at "http://127.0.0.1:631/admin/log/error_log".  Look for the beginning of the last attempt to print to the Canon printer.  You should see a line that contains something like . . . [Job 458] Adding job file of type application/pdf.  Try to follow the log downward to the end of the job.  Don't worry if you don't understand anything.  You just want to look for keywords such as "error", "crashed", "failed", "stopped", or anything else that doesn't look like it was successful.  You could even post the log from the last print job in a reply.

You could also try using a different USB port on the computer and/or a different USB cable.  Also, be sure you are not using a USB port on the keyboard.

Matt

• borav
      borav
      2008-03-20

Hello

- Printer directly connected to the right UBS-Port of my MacBookPro
      - If I power off --> Print Dialog shows that printer is offline /stopped --> ok
      - Power on again --> Print Dialog  shows active printer --> ok

- Print started, Print-Dialog shows: "Gutenprint Finished page 1..."

Last lines of the log, but nothing happens - it seems "to hang":
      I [20/Mar/2008:20:06:17 +0100] [Job 45] Adding start banner page "none".
      I [20/Mar/2008:20:06:17 +0100] [Job 45] Adding job file of type application/pdf.
      I [20/Mar/2008:20:06:17 +0100] [Job 45] Queued on "Canon_ES20" by "borav".
      I [20/Mar/2008:20:06:17 +0100] [Job 45] Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/cgpdftoraster (PID 678)
      I [20/Mar/2008:20:06:17 +0100] [Job 45] Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.1 (PID 679)
      I [20/Mar/2008:20:06:17 +0100] [Job 45] Started backend /usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb (PID 680)
      --> nothing happens...

After some time print dialog shows:
      "GenericClass: waiting for device" (Printer still connected, shows that it is connected to PC)

• mbroughtn
        mbroughtn
        2008-03-21

> After some time print dialog shows:
        > "GenericClass: waiting for device"

That is what I feared.  This does not seem to be Gutenprint driver issue.  It does appear to be a communications issue between the printing system on your computer and your printer.  There is no one solution that will work for everyone.  Things you can try --

1.  Try using the 'usbtb' communications software that can be found on the Gutenprint download page "http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537".  That can sometimes help.

2.  Try installing the latest Mac OS X update -- Security Update 2008-002.  This security update also contains an updated version of the printing system including the communications portion.

3.  Try a different USB cable.  Sometimes a different cable can solve problems like this.

Matt

• borav
          borav
          2008-03-21

Hi Matt. Thanks for all the help.
          I already tried an other usb-cable and I've installed the security update.
          But since some hours I've the solution: Canon relased on 3/18/2008 a Leopard-Driver for the ES-2 /ES-20. It works

• Pascal
            Pascal
            2008-06-14

Hello Borav,

I have the same problem like you with the Selphy es20

Where did you find the driver that worked for you?

• If you are still here:
    Please note that support for the Selphy series is now underway.
    We would apreciate very much if you would send us the USB PID.
    If you use linux, use "lsusb" to see the USB ID number.
    On Mac OSX, to get USB ID see:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/20159961#20159961

• If you are still here:
    Please note that support for the Selphy series is now underway.
    We would apreciate very much if you would send us the USB PID.
    If you use linux, use "lsusb" to see the USB ID number.
    On Mac OSX, to get USB ID see:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/20159961#20159961