Canon Pixma MP282 under Mac OS X 10.3.9

Help
2013-01-17
2013-05-29
  • I've just bought a Canon Pixma MP282 for a friend who has an iBook G4 and an iMac G3, both running Mac OS X 10.3.9. Before buying, I checked that printer is supported by Gutenprint, as Canon obviously doesn't ship any drivers for that OSX version anymore. I installed Gutenprint 5.2.9 on both computers. When connecting the printer via USB and selecting the "Add new Printer" dialog, the printer is shown (as "MP280 series"), but unfortunately, it says "No driver installed".

I've then resorted to trying accessing CUPS directly via a web browser (localhost:631), but when trying to enter the "Manage Printers" section, it doesn't accept username and password. I've found some indication on the web that CUPS is somewhat broken with regard to authentication in Mac OS X 10.3.9 and followed advice to remove the <Limit> and </Limit Get> lines from /etc/cupsd/cups and restarted cups (sudo killall cupsd && sudo cupsd), but CUPS still wouldn't accept the user credentials I'm entering.

I'm somewhat clueless as how to proceed; any advice on how to get this running is welcome! (I have some Linux background, but almost no Mac OSX experience…)