Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Xerox WorkCentre M118

Help
2007-01-24
2013-05-29
  • Hello,

I recently bought a Xerox WorkCentre M118 laser photocopier/printer that supports PCL-6 and was wondering weather GutenPrint is able to print on this machine, since I did not equip the unit with the PostScript card, as Xerox advises for OS X printing. I did some testing using IP printing (since the device is connected to my router), with no luck unfortunatelly. Any useful information on the issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

• Robert Krawitz
      Robert Krawitz
      2007-01-24

I'd suggest trying to hook it up directly via USB initially, to make sure that the printer's working.  After you get it working that way, then try via the network.

• The device is working for sure, since I am able to print from a couple of winXP boxes on the same network.

• Robert Krawitz
        Robert Krawitz
        2007-01-24

It's not the device that's the issue -- it's a matter of making sure that the Macintosh is able to work correctly.

• I don't really get what you mean by saying "wheather the Mac works correctly", since I have no problem printing to other devices around here...

• I finally managed to print using LPD and Generic PCL 6, although it takes about 1 minute to render a complex PDF page to PCL and there are a couple of page size issues (some content being cut-off). Therefore, I believe it would be feasible to compile a specific M118 driver. I would really like to hear from GutenPrint developers, I'd be glad to participate in a beta-testing feat!

• Robert Krawitz
        Robert Krawitz
        2007-01-24

I'll add it to the list as working with the pcl-6 driver.  Unless you can come up with specific changes, there's no reason for a custom driver.

• Indeed, after all this time I didn't find any issues that are in need of immediate attention. So, I believe you can add the printer to the list, if you haven't done so already...

• rlk,

After installing the latest (5.0.0) version of Gutenprint drivers, I found out that there is a WorkCentre M118 printer under the Xerox brand. I tried creating such a printer for my box, but it doesn't work. The printout starts with "%!PS-Adobe-3.0", so I guess that something went bad. However, I am still able to create a working printer for M118 using LPD and Generic PCL 6. Any hints?

• Hello again,

Been some time now since M118 is supported fine by Gutenprint as well as Apple's stock drivers that show up as Gutenprint 5.2.3 as well. However, there's still bothering issue with the specific printer, even when printing to the default A4 paper size: The printout seems to be a little bit pushed to the right; I am printing in portrait mode and the right vertical line on the test page printout doesn't print at all. I believe this could be corrected by altering the media limits on the driver itself, but how can this be done?

• Robert Krawitz
    Robert Krawitz
    2010-09-24

How far off is it?

• rlk, astounded by the prompt reply;
    I just did a new OpenOffice Draw document with an oversized shaded box in it to test the actual limits of the printer. Here's the results:

Paper fed as portrait on the printer:
    Media limits seem to be 6 x 5 to 199 x 287

Paper fed as landscape on the printer:
    Media limits seem to be 4.5 x 4.5 to 288 x 199.5

Driver states paper limits as 4 x 4 to 206 x 293. Both 206 and 293 seem a bit too much from what I'm seeing.

• There are also a couple more issues with the driver. Any chance you could have a look at them for a future version of GutenPrint? Should I report them here?

• Hello again,

I noticed that there's a new Generic PCL driver on OS X.6.4, no idea when it was added here, could be for quite some time now.

Anyhow, I just created a new printer using this Generic driver and the results are better. CUPS driver test page reports media limits as 6 x 4 to 204 x 293 and seems to be working fine.

However, this here driver has no options whatsoever for the printer, so I would prefer the GutenPrint driver would correct this issue is some future release.

Another issue that should be corrected on the GutenPrint drivers for this printer is in regards to the paper feed. This printer supports up to 3 extra paper stays (I have just one installed), along with the manual feed. The issues I am facing are with the manual feed, where the driver assumes that the page is only fed in landscape. There should be two options for the manual tray, one being landscape loading and the other portrait.

• Hello,

I've been using the Generic PLC driver of OS X's for quite some time now and thought I would give Gutenprint another test.
    There's a "Xerox WorkCentre M118 CUPS+Gutenprint" driver bundled with my OS X 10.7.4, versioned 5.2.8-pre1. Upon testing  with this driver, I found out that the printout is still offset, by 2mm to the right of the page. Is there any way printout can be moved to the center of the page, i.e. 2mm to the left?

• Just tried v.5.2.9 of Gutenprint and the issue still stands; printout must be moved by 2-2.5 mm to the left of the page (in portrait).