Canon BJC 4550 printer with bjc-6500 driver

Phil
2011-11-04
2013-05-29
  • Phil
    Phil
    2011-11-04

I am new here. I recently found that I could print to my un-supported Canon BJC 4550 from OS X.4.11 and Gutenprint 5.2.7, using either the bjc-5100 or bjc-6500 driver, and a black-only ink cartridge. It is very good to be able to use this printer for A3 and A4 prints from any OS X computer on my small network, instead of having it connected directly to just one OS 8.6 machine, and thanks to the developers for this. The bjc-6500 driver is quicker as it moves the paper in bigger steps than the bjc-5100.
    However, when I try to print with the BC22e color cartridge, whether for color, grey, or black and white documents, the software and printer seem to function the same way, and the colors are correct, but the output is reduced in width by about 50%. The length of the output up and down the page is correct, but it is squashed into the right half of the page, leaving the left half blank.
    Could it be that just a small change to the bjc-6500 driver would correct this distorted output when using the color cartridge, and enable the BJC 4550 (and also the 4650?) to be supported by Gutenprint?
    Thank you.

• Hi,
    Thanks for the report. I've been busy with all devices except the BJC series.
    I will look into it.
    Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

• Hello,
    I've added support for the BJC-4550 in CVS gutenprint. I'm not sure about the BC-22 (photocolor) cartridge, but I think the black and color printing using the BC-21 and BCI-21 cartridges should work with scaling correct. In your post you did not mention if color printing works with the normal CMY color cartridge--however, the modes you were using from other drivers do not match the capabilities of the 4550 (which has non-square resolutions like 720x360) as well as square ones, and different quality settings.
    I've implemented the following (order of quality corresponds to the Windows driver order from lowest to highest):
    180x180
    360x360
    720x360
    360x360 High Quality
    720x370 High Quality

I've no idea yet about the photocolor cartridge working, but if you could test the above modes in Color and Black settings, that would be a great help.
    Many thanks,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

• Update:
    Actually, I see you are using Mac OS X, so I understand compiling Gutenprint is not easy.
    I would be happy to send you test files to print, if you would post to the gmip-print mailing list or contact me by email.
    Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

• Correction: the highest quality mode should read:
    720x360 High Quality