HP Officejet G55

zippo3
2011-08-10
2013-05-29
  • zippo3
    zippo3
    2011-08-10

Hi,
    I've upgraded my iMac to OSX Lion, and my HP Officejet G55 doesn't work anymore, because the driver requires Rosetta (the powerpc support, dropped by Apple in this OSX version).
    So I've installed Gutenprint driver: my printer is in the support list, but it doesn't work however.
    Somebody can help me?
    thank you

• mbroughtn
    mbroughtn
    2011-08-11

The first thing I would have you try is a reset of the printing system.  The procedure for OS X Lion is the same as it is for OS X Snow Leopard.   Open Print & Scan System Preference.  There will be a box on the left side of the window.  Control-click in that box to get the option to Reset the Printing System. 

You will need to add your printer again after this procedure.  Please let us know if that solves your problem.

• zippo3
    zippo3
    2011-08-11

No, unfortunately it doesn't solves the problem!
    I've tried also to reset the printing system + reboot + add the printer, but it is the same.

• mbroughtn
    mbroughtn
    2011-08-12

The OfficeJet G55 appears to be one of the early USB printers and may not have a standard USB port.  It may only work with drivers supplied by HP.  See the web page on OpenPrinting.org for more details.

Having said that, there are several other things you can try to get the printer working:
    1.  Try using the alternative communications software usbtb which is available from the Gutenprint project here.   After installing this software, you will be led through the process of creating a new printer queue to use that software.

2.  You could try using the HPIJS software available at http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/hpijs.  Be sure to install all three packages (Foomatic-RIP, Ghostscript, and hpijs).

3.  The last thing to try is a parallel to USB adapter with either the Gutenprint or HPIJS drivers.  There are no guarantees that this will make the printer work, but it is the last, best hope if the previous options don't get you printing.

• zippo3
    zippo3
    2011-08-22

I have a solution!
    I've installed HPIJS drivers, but the printer still didn't work via usb, so I've found a hp ethernet print server. I've configured the printer as a network printer (jetdirect type, on 9100 tcp port) and now I can print well. When I want to scan I have to use the web interface of the print server.
    Thanx