It correctly finds tesseract, imagemagick, and ghostscript on my setup but not the dictionary folder; when I enter the dictionary folder manually into the configuration dialog it doesn't do anything at all- the x doesn't change to a green light, the "apply" button doesn't un-grey, etc. I wonder if this is related to the fact I installed it in a non-default path.
me too - and for me this happens since I installed tesseract 3.0 from source. I'm in ubuntu 10.04, which bundles tesseract 2.00, obsolete and buggy for me. If I keep the bundled tesseract 2.00 gimagereader WFM, but I want to avoid the version conflict and use tesseract 3.0. what am I missing?
Answering myself (sorry…)
editing ~/.config/gimagereader/paths.cfg and saying
fixed it for me.
@jensend: sorry for not replying earlier, must have missed the email in the inbox. Could you please give me the path which won't get accepted?
@ensegre: tesseract get's automatically installed as a dependency. The cleanest way use tesseract 3.0 and prevent 2.0 from getting installed is to create a deb packege of version 3.00 and install it before installing gimagereader. If you need a package, notify me an I will build one.
right, building from the tesseract sources a deb package and installing it would also be wiser for package maintenance. I just miss how to do… Is it a make target switch of tesseract?
No it is somewhat more complicated. I just found some packages I build in the past, you can find them here: http://n.ethz.ch/~smani/download/gimagereader/
In any case, just for completeness, here is a _very_ simplified procedure (which does not conform with all packaging guidelines) for creating deb packages:
- ./configure -prefix=/usr && make && mkdir rootdir && make DESTDIR=$PWD/rootdir install (this uses rootdir as the root of the filesystem structure for installation)
- mkdir rootdir/DEBIAN
- create a file called "control" (no quotes) in rootdir/DEBIAN which contains the essential information for the package (extract the package I mentioned above and look at control.tar.gz/control for an example
- dpkg -b rootdir tesseract-3.00-<arch>.deb
complicated (I'm afraid it might then generate conflicts with the tesseract-ocr-xxx language packages of Ubuntu, once they upgrade to 3.00) - but anyway thanks!