Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

GGC not running on Windows Vista

Help
Geiner
2011-06-15
2013-05-01
  • Geiner
    Geiner
    2011-06-15

I know, I have a crappy OS but is what I have.
    The problem that I am having is that when I click on the GNU Gluco Control from the menu, it displays a black screen, prints something out real fast and then disappears. I would like to know how to run the app on my laptop since is not loading at all. Tried 3 times to uninstall and reinstall to no avail and even installed the update still did not work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G.

• What would really help is if you could attach a log file. Also, did you read the readmes and make sure you have everything you need?
    (Since our crystal balls are currently being cleaned and polished, we need your help at guessing what's going wrong. Actually following the procedure for reporting bugs as described in one of the readmes would be a nice start…)

• Hi !
    Now you wont find any log files… Our installer has problems on Vista (at least old version had, I think we fixed this scripts in new version). Since install is broken for Vista (it is not broken, but Vista has so many problems with itself it looks like that), you will need to download zip file, and unpack it under some directory. Make sure that users have admin rights for that directory. Now we will check if everything is OK. Start command prompt (cmd in Run), go to directory where you put GGC, go into bin\ and run file run_win.cmd. Now you will see what the problem is… It might even run out of the box… Please post what problem is displayed here… And please install JRE 1.6 before running GGC. Maybe JRE 1.6 install could even correct your current problem….

Take care,
    Andy

• Elric
    Elric
    2012-02-11

This sounds like what I'm experiencing on Windows 7 (Still a crappy OS, but better than Vista).  I'm not on my home machine, so I don't have a log, but I do know that, for me, at least, what is failing is that java hates the Atech tools package (6u24 at home, but will be u30 when I get back there).  Java loads fine, but then it decides it doesn't like the Atech Tools…either version.  And it just completely fails.  The error message is that it is not a recongnized batch command or package, or somesuch.  You get the idea.

So yeah.  It installs fine, and I would love to be a tester for the project, but I can't seem to get it to run…at all.

• For W7 it should work out of the box… Atechtools and both GGC are built under java 1.5, so they should run anywhere…

Since GGC doesn't start you wonćt have any logs.. Go to directory where GGC is installed (start cmd) and run 'run_win.cmd'. Now you should get more detailed info…

And after you installed 0.4 install update… If you are willing to do some test please contact me off'-list and I will send you link for new version, which should be out in month or so…
    Andy

• Elric
    Elric
    2012-02-16

Took an hour and hand copied exactly what gets spit out when trying to load GGC on my Win 7 (no SP and I don't want an SP on it) desktop.  Version of Java is 6u30 and in both the 32- and 64-bit versions.  These results are also the same regardless f which update was installed:

Resuls of running "run_win.bat" with Java being set to both the 32- and 64-bit versions (Version of Java is 1.6u30, 32- & 64-bit versions, both installed):

Running "run_win.bat" from anywhere:

'setenv_atech.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
       Create Startp files
    Usage:  java  class
        (to execute a class)
    java  -jar jarfile
        (to exwecute a jar file)

{More java manpage for a few lines}

'db_check.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    'run_ggc.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Running "run_win.bat" from within "C:\Program Files (x86)\GGC\bin" (both versions of Java tested) yields:

Create Startup files
    creatFile failed: java.io.FileNotFoundException:  db_tool.bat (access is denied)

java.io.FileNotFoundException: db_tool.bat (Access is denied)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.FileWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.atech.update.startup.StartupFilesCreator.createFiles(StartupFilesCreator.java:244)
    at com.atech.update.startup.StartupFilesCreator.createFiles(StartupFilesCreator.java:183)
    at com.atech.update.startup.BuildStartupFile.buildStartpFiles(BuildStartupFile.java:112)
    at com.atech.update.startup.BuildStartupFile.<init>(BuildStartupFile.java:68)
    at com.atech.update.startup.BuildStartupFile.main(BuildStartupFile.java: 169)
    ===========================================================================
    === Startp/Update Manager FAILED on startup ===
    ===   Error on startup creation.  Please contact Atech support ===
    ===   (support@atech-software.com). ===
    ===========================================================================
    'db_check.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    'run_ggc.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This was initiall done with the current base version (0.4) and re-attempted after each update was manually installed, with exactly the same results.

Am very interested in testing for you.  Will contact you off-list as soon as possible.

• writer1772
    writer1772
    2013-01-21

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1. I have the same problem: Black window (cmd window) appears, something flashes by quickly, it disappears and nothing else happens.

The version of Java that I have is 1.6.0_37.

• Did you try package GGC (with JRE). This version has it's own java and it should work out of the box.

This is the link:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ggc/GGC_Setup_0.4_jre.exe?use_mirror=osdn

I had no problems with it so far…
    Andy

P.S.: We plan to make next release soon… (probably at start of March).

• writer1772
    writer1772
    2013-01-21

I originally had installed GGC_Setup_0.4.exe, so when I saw your reply, I unistalled tjat, rebooted, and installed GGC_Setup_0.4_jre.exe.  Same thing happened.

I signed up for your mailing list, so if you can't think of something that I should check, I'll just look for the notification of the next release.

• As a workaround, you can either modify permissions for c:\program files\GGC (or wherever you installed it) to give yourself write access or run GGC as Administrator.

I'm not sure whether this has been pointed out anywhere, but somehow the installer seems to think the installation directory should only be modifyable by the administrator user, and since GGC does all its modifying in its installation directory, it doesn't have the necessary permissions to create vital startup files.
    (That error should probably be caught and a decent error message be displayed.)

I'm not 100% sure, but another workaround might be to install GGC in the user's home directory (that should probably be the default, anyway), say in "My Documents" or wherever.

• GGC needs to have writable permissions…. this is prerequisite…

It was Vista and 7 that changed that. In any normal OS, directory to which you install your soiftware becomes writable for you. GGC is creating files all the time, so it must be writable… I did modify install files, I am just not sure if this was done correctly. I will have to do some more tests, before we deploy next version… Problem is that I always set myself to be administrator so I don't notice this… I will create normal user for next tests, and try with that…

Thanks for pointing this out… it will help other users, after we create new install files…
    Andy

• writer1772
    writer1772
    2013-01-21

I installed it using my own account, and since this is my own personal home machine, I have Administrator privileges.

I just tried to run it by right-clicking and choosing Run As Administrator, and got the same results.

I don't know much about Win 7 security, but I get the feeling that this isn't the problem. Years ago, when Java first started gaining ground, I saw a similar problem when I was trying to run software that wasn't officially released. We'd usually find that the engineers had installed some pieces of Java that they needed to develop the software that we, as users, wouldn't normally install. Could I be missing something Java-wise?

• If you want to, I can help with the testing in my VM. Using Admin or not doesn't matter as long as you don't trick windows into letting you login as the actual "Administrator" user, IIRC. My users are Admin users, and the one in the VM still has this problem.
    I really think that installing somewhere in the user's home directory is the proper way to do it. After all, unless I missed something, GGC is a single user application.

BTW, do we have any FAQs somewhere? We could put this there and spare some 0.4 users some trouble.

• writer1772
    writer1772
    2013-01-21

I uninstalled it and re-installed it in a user directory. Even though I didn't install it as administrator or run it as admin, it worked!

So, that's the solution: Install in a user directory.

Thanks, both of you!

• I found sollution. In next version of install we will set permissions on directory where we install to, so that anybody will have write rights.

As for beeing single user application, GGC is not single user application, or is not planned to be. We are currently missing login screen and user management, but since before 0.4 was released it was planned to be multi user application. While usually there is only one diabetes patient per family, I know one family where father and daughter both have diabetes (type 1).

• writer1772
    writer1772
    2013-01-21

andy,

I agree with you about multiple family members having diabetes. I regularly frequent two diabetes forums, and there are many couples who both have Type 2, and some of them are also on insulin.

• I found sollution. In next version of install we will set permissions on directory where we install to, so that anybody will have write rights.

How well can you configure permissions with the current installer? Ideally, we should only have a few well-defined directories world-writable, if that. I'm already pretty uncomfortable having anything world-writable, but the shipped files definitely shouldn't be.
    Otherwise you'll get the situation where the computer is shared by the whole family and the computer freak child will modify the JARs to do stuff like write out passwords to file (I know because I've been that child).

What I'm trying to get at: while we're single-user, we can just install into the user's directory and not worry about permissions. When we go multi-user, we have to focus on security, and when installing to a system location, it means doing proper permission handling, including privilege elevation where needed. (And no, I've no idea how to properly do that in Java - hopefully there's a pattern for that). In other words, until we have proper permission handling, we shouldn't install to a system location by default.

• I can set permissions on any directory or even files…

We need almost all directories writable, even thoose with jars… When upgrade will be working (soon I hope), we will also put files into that directories. At current time we have bin\ and data\ which must be writable, when update will be working we will also have to write into lib\ and perhaps even into docs\.

Software is not is system directories. Per default we installl into Program Files\ which SHOULD be default instalation of any software.

It's bigger problem right now to determine if you are using Vista/7 or 8 machine and then write to "special" directory (I don't like that software is installed in some user directories), then to change permissions… Actually only Users have permissions to write to that diurtectory, so if someone would access your computer from outside (and wouldn't be local user) he/she couldn't write to that directory. Now if we have domain computer then all users of domain could run application.

• I hate the forum interface and don't think this is the proper forum for this discussion, anyway, so I'll answer on the (development) mailing list.