From: Gary Lucas <gwlucas@so...> - 2007-03-02 00:20:28
No apologies necessary. I found both those pages. And, shortly after
my last posting I found a solution for at least one of my problems.
I don't think a week goes by when somebody doesn't post a note
here about problems with dependencies. So I was aware of the issue
and got burned by it anyway. Now that I've figured out what went
wrong, I suspect that it will turn out to be something that has been
tripping up other users as well. So I will take the time to describe
in some detail what happened.
When running maven, I encountered an build error that looked a lot
like a bad DLL (I may post that to the mailing list later on). So I
decided to uninstall Java, download newer versions of everything and
reinstall. Starting from scratch, I downloaded and installed the
Java SE 1.6.0 JDK (the dependency page calls for "Java 1.4.2",
that's a separate isssue). Then I downloaded and installed the JAI
packages. Since I am on a windows box, I used the following
When you install the Windows JDK, it installs both a JDK branch and
a JRE branch. Notice that the string "jdk" appears in both exec's.
That's right... They install the JAI packages in the JDK branch, but
not in the JRE branch. My guess is that maven uses the JRE during
its JUnit testing and fails.
Now I can't imagine what the engineers at Sun were thinking when
they decided to implement things this way but whatever reasoning
drove that design decision was flawed, unapologetically wrong,
and just plain rude. If the main SDK install provides a new JRE,
it is natural for the uninitiated user to expect a parallel behavior
in the JAI packages. However, there's nothing anyone can do about
that, so we simply note that as an extra step one should download
and install the following as well:
Note the "jre" in the names of the exec's.
Hope that my day of aggravation can, at least, serve to save
somebody else the same...
Gary W. Lucas, Senior Software Engineer
215 Parkway North
Waterford, CT 06320
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:23:25 -0500
From: Justin Deoliveira <jdeolive@...>
Subject: Re: [Geotools-gt2-users] Problems with maven, builds, and
To: Gary Lucas <gwlucas@...>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Have you managed to find this page:
And verified you have the necessary dependencies defined here:
I apologize if you have already gone through all this, but looking at
your problem below it appears you just done have the jai extensions
And you are correct, we are lacking information about working with the
library via maven snapshots. Especially for those new to maven.
A while back someone was working on creating a "maven archetype" for
geotools. What this would do is basically allow people to run a single
maven command, and it would create the shell of a maven project that
contains all the necessary configuration to correctly depend on geotools
snapshots. However I am not sure how far that got or what state it is in.
Gary Lucas wrote:
> I have spent the entire day trying unsuccessfully to build software
> from the GeoTools source distribution in gt2-2.3.0-src.zip and
> am beginning to think that there is some critical information that
> is known to the developers but not posted on the GeoTools web site.