License (why not LGPL, or RTEMS-like)

2004-10-28
2013-03-07
  • Steve Strobel
    Steve Strobel
    2004-10-28

Is there a particular reason that gdbstubs is licensed with the GPL rather than LGPL or like RTEMS (GPL but with a linking exception)?  On embedded systems where everything necessarily gets linked together, the GPL limits the use of gdbstubs in non-open-source projects.  In my case, I would be happy to contribute any changes I might make to gdbstubs, but I can't release the rest of the application.

• Bill Gatliff
      Bill Gatliff
      2004-10-29

Steve:

Thanks very much for the question!

Actually, consider gdbstubs to be RTEMS-like, i.e. GPL with a linking exception.  I don't know when SF "changed my license" to GPL, but it obviously happened at some point and I didn't notice it.

If you read the sources, I think the license document included therein is pretty clear.  If it isn't, then that's something I need to fix too!

I don't want to see the code that's in your application any more than you want to share it with me!  :^)

HTH,

b.g.

• Steve Strobel
        Steve Strobel
        2004-10-29

Thanks for clarifying that.  I should have looked at the actual license file before I asked.  Now to see if we can get it integrated into our project :)