Build environment

Developers
Tom Morris
2009-01-05
2013-04-24
  • Tom Morris
    Tom Morris
    2009-01-05

Is there a summary description of the current environment for developer's getting started?

In honor of the new year I decided to update all my old genealogy related projects, but I can't make heads or tails out of GDBI after the update, despite the fact that I started with a working Eclipse project.

Some of the problems include:

- there are two largely duplicate source trees, but if I exclude the old net.sourceforge.gdbi tree there are unresolved dependencies from the new org.gdbi tree (e.g. net.sourceforge.gdbi.familytree.gui.MainFrame)

- there are a number of unresolved dependencies which appear to be commercial products (e.g. com.tsac.familytree and com.thoughtriver.open.vectorvisuals)

- non existent packages are referenced (eg. org.gdbi.ftml)

When I look in the build directory I see DOS BAT files, shell scripts, makefiles, an Ant build.xml and I have no idea which one is correct.  I can't find a README anywhere (although I didn't need one the last time I did this).  Help!  It can't really be this hard...

Tom

• Tom Morris
    Tom Morris
    2009-01-05

Oh, and while I'm at it, what ever happened to the suggestion to use Ant?  That's what 99% of Java projects use (that or something layered on top of it, like Maven).

Tom

• Daniel Kionka
    Daniel Kionka
    2009-01-05

Wow, this is a really old thread.

I now create documentation with the wiki that comes with sourceforge projects, so I will write up info on the dev environment.  But basically it is a make based system in gdbi/src/build.  I use the netbeans IDE these days, so using Ant makes more sense than ever, but I am still a make guy.

The duplicate source may be a CVS "feature".  You need to update with -P to prune obsolete directories.