I just added a demo on the GDBI home page: http://gdbi.sourceforge.net/applet.html It loads an applet with BKEdit. I wanted to use the standard PhpGedView version of GDBI, but applet security does not allow CGI access to PGV (and other things). Since it was so limited, I also took out lifelines reports and taurus familytree. That gets the jar down to 400K. I use an in-memory database, so I embedded the GEDCOM lines in the HTML page and passed it in as a parameter.
It has been a while since I have done anything with GDBI. With open source, you don’t fix anything until something bothers you enough to take the time to work on it. When I looked at some other genealogy website recently that had a demo, I realized that if you have to download GDBI before you can see what it does, many people might give up on GDBI without ever trying it.