Experimenting with Treeviz

Developers
2009-01-20
2013-04-24
  • Daniel Kionka
    Daniel Kionka
    2009-01-20

I looked into a tree visualization library, Treeviz, and talked to the author, Werner Randelshofer.  This was a follow-up to a PGV post:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2861223&forum_id=185167

It does very interesting views, but there is a big limitation -- it only does strict trees.  Genealogy charts are directed graphs, not trees, because each family has 2 parents.  That means it is fine for ancestry, but for descendancy, you can’t list spouses, just the tree of children.  Some of those tree views are amazing, though, so it still may be worth adding.

Werner wrote these new tree views on top of an existing hyperbolic tree library, and that original library might work with graphs.  I have to look into that yet.

• Wes Groleau
      Wes Groleau
      2009-02-10

Of course you can list spouses in a descendant chart.  PhpGedView and WorldConnect do it.  (Though I'm not fond of PGV's style.)

I do it at  http://UniGen.us/FFA189  I had a notion of modifying PGV to generate this, but never got around to it.  The example is 60% hand-coded.  (Wrote some scripts to convert a WorldConnect chart into the Javascript calls, but due to bugs I had to edit the results)

• Daniel Kionka
        Daniel Kionka
        2009-02-12

I meant that programs like treeviz that use a strict top-down tree model do not support spouses.  Spouses are next to each other, which is outside of the blood line.

One approach (which may look odd to most users) is adding a spouse/family layer in the top-down tree.  Instead of:

parent - child - grandchild

You have:

parent - spouse/family - child - spouse/family - grandchild

That makes more sense when a man has children from 2 wives -- his children are under 2 different FAMS's, where the FAMS node mentions the spouse.

• Wes Groleau
          Wes Groleau
          2009-02-13

That's what PGV and WorldConnect do - and the web experiment I put up.

I don't find anything counter-intuitive about it.