Brand New Card Layouts

Werocia
2005-08-18
2013-05-29
  • Jazz Fusion
    Jazz Fusion
    2005-08-18

Go Here, Read my Page, and check out the cool new cards. I think you'll like them all, especially the Gold/Silver Card.

http://k.domaindlx.com/ownageradio/cards3.htm

All 7 layouts I planned to do are looking good. If you guys give me permission Ill work on making them into templates and finding a good card editing program. Soon enough we can be making test cards.

Also I hope the obscure cartoon reference at the bottom is cross cultural. If you don't understand it, don't worry about it.

• B0rsuk
      B0rsuk
      2005-08-19

Hmm.

The water one is okay, but I'm not especially thrilled about it. It might motivate me to try something myself.
      The yellow card - it's ok, but somehow it looks a bit plain among others.
      However the bottom card doesn't fit too much. I can't help but think it's made of plastic.

As for templates, go for it. It's about time we should do something productive. (no, I don't mean you doing the dirty work - I mean that this will enable us to actually start playtesting the game)

• vlcyen
      vlcyen
      2005-08-19

I pretty much agree with b0rsuk. It would help if the background of the blue card were lighter and more wavy...perhaps use a wave script in GIMP.

• B0rsuk
      B0rsuk
      2005-08-19

ok, more detailed description of new cards:

water - drops of water are very nice, but what exactly the blue thing is ? It's neither a piece of flotsam nor coral. I just can't associate it with water. You may say that rocks have little to do with fire, but at least in case of fire contrast is much better (lower).  It may be a plastic bath tube (just kidding, no offense meant).
      The blue thing is of striking color and it has monotonous texture.
      Another idea for material (not counting drifting brown/green wood or coral) - how about a shore, wet sand with a small wave and some seaweed ?

yellow - air - even if the card itself doesn't look bad, it's really really hard to believe that it has something to do with air. It looks as if it was meant to be some kind of weathered rock, but you still need some imagination to see it like that.
      It would look more "air-ish" even if you made it a dune. Dune-like border, if made sufficiently wavy and three-dimensional, would at least trigger immediate association with wind. (for anyone who has even vague knowledge about coast/desert)

• Jazz Fusion
      Jazz Fusion
      2005-08-21

This is all good news. I do agree the yellow card might need some attention. Ill try adding some waves in the water card. As for the gold card: Would you like me to try something else besides metal? Metal's reflection seems to be dificult to replicate on a 2d surface.

For the templates:

I just found out the program i intented to make them for costs money which is probably a bad idea. If anyone else can think of a program that would work thats not to complicated for the average user to figure out then post it here. It would need to be a simple program where you could add symbols, text, and a picture to a card template. Ill keep looking for one.

• B0rsuk
      B0rsuk
      2005-08-21

Personally, I would even edit .xml or similar files manually with a simple text editor, if it was only way to create cards.

• Jazz Fusion
      Jazz Fusion
      2005-08-24

I think i've got it.

If one were to use the card layout as background to a word document and then paste in the rest of the information, it would be a snap to convert that document to an image.

Any problems with this?

• Jazz Fusion
      Jazz Fusion
      2005-09-06

I just started school and I'm a bit busy, but I have been working on the modifications to some cards. I think I have some good ideas for the Gold and Water Cards. If you have any ideas at all concerning the air card, please voice them soon! I've hit kind of a Creative Block, and I must say the Air card is rather bland.

• B0rsuk
      B0rsuk
      2005-09-08

Hmm. I have big problems at university now - there's good chance I'll fail the math exam. This is my last chance - unless they accept my paper and let me try another time. Somehow I doubt they will.

• vlcyen
      vlcyen
      2005-09-12

Well I have school too, don't worry, we're all busy :-D