Maximum dimension of elements and number for array at the same time on 12f683.

cosmok82
2013-09-17
2013-09-21
  • cosmok82
    cosmok82
    2013-09-17

Hi. I usually write with your basic compiler, but now it gave me an error like this:

Error: The array xxx is too large

I don't think the dimension is a lot expensive for the microchip microcontroller and I believe that it could be a compiler error. At least for an array like this

xxx() = 6, 3, 4, 7,12, 7, 8, 1, 4, 7, 7, 3, 3, 8, 6, 3, 4, 8, 6, 3, 4, 1, 1, 6, 6, 3, 6, 6, 6, 3

It's strange that for an other array (into same code) more expensive about elements, the compiler doesn't report the same error instead for the second, one on the top, it crashes with an error!

What do you think about?

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-17

Copying the array define into another program, and it compiles fine. Have you tried commenting the larger array out, and tried compiling that?

How many variables do you have?

Is the program space nearly maxed out? Check for it in places like the Pickit "Program Window", the compiled.lst file if using MPASM or possibly gputils for the assembler. Could be you need a device with more program memory.

• cosmok82
      cosmok82
      2013-09-17

If I write something like this:

;Chip Settings
      chip 12F683,8
      config FCMEN=OFF, IESO=OFF, BOD=OFF, CPD=OFF, CP=OFF, MCLRE=ON, PWRTE=OFF, WDT=OFF, OSC=INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT

;Variables
      Dim UnoA(94)
      Dim UnoB(94)
      Dim UnoC(94)
      Dim UnoD(94)

The compiler give me an error for the last 3 arrays (B C D). I have to write more than one for my software and the compiler not allow me to do it. But the memory of microcontroller isn't over, I don't understand because this compiler give me all this problems!

• Hugh Considine
    Hugh Considine
    2013-09-18

Unfortunately, you will need to use a different PIC chip, or use smaller arrays!

Each array has 94 elements, or 95 once you include the 0 element. Each array will take 95 bytes of RAM to store, so for 4 arrays you will need 380 bytes of RAM. But on the 12F683, there are only 128 bytes of RAM, so there is no way that this will work. Another problem is that arrays in GCBASIC must not be larger than one "bank" of data memory. On the 12F683, there is a bank of 96 bytes, and a bank of 32. But GCBASIC uses 16 bytes from the first bank for temporary variables, so you can only have an array of 80 elements on a 12F683.

The 8 pin PIC with the largest data memory is the 12F1840, which has 256 bytes of RAM. Maybe this will work, but if you need more memory you will need to use a larger PIC, like the PIC18F14K22 which has 20 pins and 512 bytes of RAM.

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-18

The 12f683 has 128 bytes of ram, you are asking for minimum 376 plus overhead.

I'll attempt to explain myself a little better on variables. When using arrays, general purpose ram is addressed indirectly (INDF) through the file select (FSR) addressing scheme. So my mistake, even though UnoA, UnoB, etc. show as only one variable in the compiler output, there is much more to it. This is best shown by an example using the following arrays:

#chip 12f683,4

Dim UnoA(25)
    Dim UnoB(25)
    Dim UnoC(25)
    Dim UnoD(25)

Main:
    For number = 1 to 25
        UnoA(number) = number
        UnoB(number) = number
        UnoC(number) = number
        UnoD(number) = number
    Next
    goto Main

Then looking at the absolute or EQU locations from the compiled.asm:

;Set aside memory locations for variables
    UNOA    EQU 164
    UNOB    EQU 101
    UNOC    EQU 74
    UNOD    EQU 47
    NUMBER  EQU 32

The 12f683 has 128 bytes of static ram. The memory map location for general purpose ram runs out at location BFh or dec 191. As you can see from the UNOA EQU we are pointed at 164, then add the size of the array of 25 which makes it top out at 189. Still room for more ram to be placed, here and there.

If by chance you are trying to run bitmaps on a glcd, then definitely go with a much larger device, like a 18f45k22.

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-18

Oops, Hugh beat me to it.

• cosmok82
    cosmok82
    2013-09-18

Is it possible to store this arrays on eeprom of chip? Or on program memory? Any solutions?

• cosmok82
    cosmok82
    2013-09-18

Just another question. Why all variables have to be loaded into RAM of 12f683?
    It would be easier to load all the necessary step by step...

• Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-18

The answer is simple, 'it depends'.

1. Yes, you can write you code to save/retrieve to/from eeprom. You may ask 'why does the array handler not do this anyway?' Because, the use of RAM is the norm for array handling. I know a lot of compilers and this is the general case. You can write you own code to save/retrieve to eeprom this would work, but, be aware this will be a slower process than using RAM for storage.

2. What are trying to achieve? What is your goal? This may help us to help you. :-)

Depends

Last edit: Anobium 2013-09-18
    • cosmok82
      cosmok82
      2013-09-18

What is the goal? I have to write on output a series of data contained in these arrays. That's all, but I want to do it without other memory devices connected if possible.

I hoped that with all the program memory available this couldn't be a true problem.

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-18

Could use the ReadTable command (see Help file) to store data sets in program memory, but it also takes the speed hit that Anobium alludes to.

• cosmok82
      cosmok82
      2013-09-18

How much could be long a Table?

• Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-18

Just pulled this from the help file.

'Using Lookup Tables

First, the table must be created. The code to create a lookup table is simple - a line that has "Table" and then the name of the table, a list of numbers (up to 254), and then "End Table".'

So, 254 elements.

• cosmok82
      cosmok82
      2013-09-18

Ok, the Tables are just great! But... is it possible to set a Table temporary? I need it to optimize my code, there are many subroutines that make the same sub-code and it's a waste in this way.

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-18

Tables are for constants. Use the 80 element array per Hugh.
    A 8 pin 12f1840 can give you 256 ram. A 14 pin 16f1825 can give you 1024 ram. Too big? use a tssop pkg.

• cosmok82
      cosmok82
      2013-09-19

I read that 12f1840 can't be wrote the with pickit 2, but only with the pickit 3. It's a good microchip, but I would like that my device was programmable with the first version of pickit, even though I have both! Thanks for the tips!

I try in every possible way to put inside the 12f683 my software, even if it's complicated.

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-19

I am the same way about the Pickit 2, the Pickit 3 is just a pretender. I can only hope that they continue periodic updates of the Pickit 2. Speaking of which, the device file version 1.62.14 does indeed have the 12f1840, along with many other of the enhanced midrange devices. Good luck either way.

• Jim giordano
    Jim giordano
    2013-09-19

I've been using the Pickit 2 to program 12f1840. What is the problem supposed to be?

• cosmok82
    cosmok82
    2013-09-19

Only a question that seem off topic but it isn't. About math with this basic compiler, is it possible to separate the module from the decimal part of a floating point number?
    Which are the commands?

I have opened with "not off topic" because it could be a good solution to apply a compression over data if there is some command code to do it.

• Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-19

I did a search for 'remainder'. there is lots more info.

In Help forum : _ http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcbasic/forums/forum/579126/topic/1827101?message=4526599_

W_Cholmondeley writes :

"SysCalcTempX stores the remainder after a division, and using it saves some calculations.)"

• cosmok82
      cosmok82
      2013-09-20

I tried to use the 'remainder' with the command that you have suggested "SysCalcTempX", but it doesn't seem to work. This is the example code:

;Chip Settings
      #chip 12F683,8
      #config FCMEN=OFF, IESO=OFF, BOD=OFF, CPD=OFF, CP=OFF, MCLRE=ON, PWRTE=OFF, WDT=OFF, OSC=INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT

;Variables
      Dim i As integer
      Dim GenOut As integer
      Dim ones As integer
      Dim zeros As integer
      Dim SysCalcTempX As integer
      ;Data tables

Table U
      End Table

Table No
      End Table

uu = 61
      noo = 145

Main:
      one
      Wait 1000 ms
      Goto Main

Sub one
          check = 1
          For i = 1 To uu
              ReadTable U, i, GenOut
              generate
          Next
          check = 1
          For i = 1 To noo
              ReadTable No, i, GenOut
              generate
          Next
      End Sub

Sub generate
          ones = GenOut/100
          zeros = SysCalcTempX
          If check = 1 Then
              Set GPIO.5 On
              Wait ones*31 10us
              Set GPIO.5 Off
              check = 0
          Else
              Wait zeros*31 10us
              check = 1
          End If
      End Sub

Could you help me?

• Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-21

I just run up your code. No issues with SysCalctempX.

However, I had to make a number of changes to get the code to run. A few errors in your method.

Changes:
    1. Do not use variables with single characters. I now use the following:
    ug_variablename - where the ug_... means User Global
    ul_variablename - where the ul_... means the variable is local to the SUB or Function
    2. Do not redeclare SySCalcTempX. This is already defined as a PUBLIC global. (A good question would be to ask Hugh..... is what is the complete list of PUBLIC globals).
    3. I am not sure why use define variables as Integers. I think you need Words.

I hope this helps. My code and output (this is the debug screen, see my code)

OUTPUT:

1: GenoutU = 302 Sx = 2 tempvar = 62
    2: GenoutU = 303 Sx = 3 tempvar = 93
    3: GenoutU = 301 Sx = 1 tempvar = 31
    4: GenoutU = 705 Sx = 5 tempvar = 155
    1: GenoutNo = 203 Sx = 3 tempvar = 93
    2: GenoutNo = 604 Sx = 4 tempvar = 124
    3: GenoutNo = 101 Sx = 1 tempvar = 31
    4: GenoutNo = 503 Sx = 3 tempvar = 93
    5: GenoutNo = 101 Sx = 1 tempvar = 31
    6: GenoutNo = 502 Sx = 2 tempvar = 62

CODE:
    #chip 16F1937, 32
    #config Osc = intOSC, MCLRE_OFF, PLLEN_ON, VCAPEN_OFF

#include "D:\Microchip\Projects\Great Cow Basic\DC Motor Controller\input.gcb"
    #include "D:\Microchip\Projects\Great Cow Basic\DC Motor Controller\outputserial.gcb"
    #include "D:\MicroChip\Projects\Great Cow Basic\DC Motor Controller\outputdevices_009.gcb"

' turn on the RS232 and terminal port.
    #define ANSITERMINAL

' Define the LED ports
    #define LED1 LATD1
    #define LED2 LATE2
    #define LED3 LATE1
    #define LED4 LATE0

Dir PORTD.1 Out
    Dir PORTE.2 Out
    Dir PORTE.1 Out
    Dir PORTE.0 Out

Dir PORTC.2 Out

' Define the ADC port
    Dir PORTB.2 In
    #define ADCPort AN8
    dim ADCreading as word

' Define the USART port
    #ifdef ANSITERMINAL
    #define USART_BAUD_RATE 9600
    #define USART_BLOCKING
    #define SerInPort PORTc.7
    #define SerOutPort PORTc.6
    'Set pin directions
    Dir SerOutPort Out
    Dir SerInPort In
    #endif

' Define the switch port
    #define SwitchIn1 PORTD.2
    Dir SwitchIn1 In
    'address of switch - required by method
    #define check_switch RD2
    'initial state of the switch - required by method
    #define state_switch OFF

;Variables
    Dim GenOut As word
    Dim ones As word
    Dim zeros As word
    'Dim SysCalcTempX As integer
    Dim tempvar as word
    ;Data tables

Table MyTable1
    End Table

Table No
    End Table

uu = 4
    noo = 6
    Wait 1000 ms

ANSIERASECREEN
    ANSI(0,0)
    Main:
    one
    Wait 1000 ms
    end

Sub one
    check = 0
    For myLoop = 1 To uu
    ReadTable MyTable1, myLoop, GenOut
    HSerPrint myLoop: HSerPrint ": GenoutU = ": hserprint GenOut:HSerSend 9
    generate
    Next

check = 0
    For myLoop = 1 To noo
    ReadTable No, myLoop, GenOut
    HSerPrint myLoop: HSerPrint ": GenoutNo = ": hserprint GenOut:HSerSend 9
    generate
    Next
    End Sub

Sub generate

ones = GenOut/100
    zeros = SysCalcTempX
    HSerPrint "Sx = ": hserprint zeros: HSerSend 9
    If check = 1 Then
    ' Set GPIO.5 On
    Wait ones*31 10us
    ' Set GPIO.5 Off
    check = 0
    Else
    tempvar = zeros * 31
    Wait tempvar 10us
    HSerPrint "tempvar = ": hserprint tempvar:crlf(1)
    check = 0
    End If
    End Sub