Word variables forced to long?

Frank
2012-06-10
2013-05-30
  • Frank
    Frank
    2012-06-10

If I compile the following code with the 3/06/12 update the word variables get converted to longs.

'Chip settings
    #chip 18F27J13, 8
    #config OSC = INTOSC, WDTEN = OFF, ADCSEL = BIT12
    'dim ADresult as word alias ADRESH, ADRESL
    dim resistor, ref10k, ref100k, ref1M as word
    dim thermistor, testResistance as long
    do 
    loop

This is a section of the assembly file with all the word variables taking up 4 locations.

;Set aside memory locations for variables
    REF100K EQU 1
    REF100K_H   EQU 2
    REF100K_U   EQU 3
    REF100K_E   EQU 4
    REF10K  EQU 5
    REF10K_H    EQU 6
    REF10K_U    EQU 7
    REF10K_E    EQU 8
    REF1M   EQU 9
    REF1M_H EQU 10
    REF1M_U EQU 11
    REF1M_E EQU 12
    RESISTOR    EQU 13
    RESISTOR_H  EQU 14
    RESISTOR_U  EQU 15
    RESISTOR_E  EQU 16
    TESTRESISTANCE  EQU 17
    TESTRESISTANCE_H    EQU 18
    TESTRESISTANCE_U    EQU 19
    TESTRESISTANCE_E    EQU 20
    THERMISTOR  EQU 21
    THERMISTOR_H    EQU 22
    THERMISTOR_U    EQU 23
    THERMISTOR_E    EQU 24

The problem goes away if you dimension all the long variables on individual lines or dim the words after the longs. Aliased word variables are also affected  - they don't get an alias in the assembly file and an error is generated if its assigned to another variable.

Can someone else confirm this behaviour?

Frank

• Hugh Considine
    Hugh Considine
    2012-06-10

That's definitely a bug! I've uploaded a slightly changed update.zip that should fix it.

The problem occured when reading the Dim command. When there are multiple variables on a line, GCBASIC splits up the list at the commas, stores each name in an array, and then adds them individually. The only problem is it wasn't clearing the list properly, so each Dim command was adding not only the variables from that command, but the variables from any lines before it.

Alias variables won't be listed in the assembly file unless they are accessed somewhere in the code. If you add something to the program that uses the alias, the aliases should appear in the assembly. (This is something I'll probably add for normal variables in the future. For aliases it's pretty pointless, but for other variables it's a way to save RAM in the event of a variable being declared but not used.)

There is one more difficult problem though, and that is the chip data file for the 18F27j13. It seems to be missing the information on what config words are present on the chip. I haven't quite got time now, but I'll try to fix those up some time in the next few days. Until then you'll need to either set the configuration manually with the programmer or look for a similar PIC and copy over the relevant section of the chip data. Sorry about that!

• Frank
    Frank
    2012-06-10

Thanks Hugh. That was a mighty quick fix.

I'd cobbled together a config section for the 18F27J13 but then forgot about it not being a good choice for the code example.