Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Programs run only if PICkit2 disconnected

Help
2013-08-06
2013-11-19
  • Jack Hoffnung
    Jack Hoffnung
    2013-08-06

I am using a PICkit2, and not having any trouble with compiling or downloading code to a PIC. However I notice that some programs won't run until I disconnect the programmer; then they run just fine. Is this expected?

• Do you have the /MCLR box checked (under the Vdd setting).
    If checked it will hold the device in reset until you either uncheck it or disconnect the PICkit 2.

• Jack Hoffnung
      Jack Hoffnung
      2013-08-09

Thanks so much; that was the piece of information I was missing. That will save me time while debugging.

• YT2095
    YT2095
    2013-11-16

Iv been having this exact same problem now for a couple of years, Iv Just found a simple workaround that will let you keep your PK2 plugged in and you don`t have to keep opening the PK2 s/ware gui to unset the MCLR.

if you go into your GCB folder, and locate the file called "prefs.dat" then have a look down to see the Pickit entry, you need to add "-R" to the end of that line thusly:

params = -PPIC%ChipModel% -F"%FileName%" -B"%instdir%\programmers" -M -R

then save it.

you`ll have no problems with it being held in reset after programming anymore :)

• I don't see that in the GCB prefs.dat but I do see it in the Great Cow Graphical Basic compiler prefs.dat file so I assume that is what you refer to?

Also, if you add a -T then the PICkit 2 can power your board. Limited to about 70 ma I believe but that is usually more than enough for most simple projects.

You can also set the voltage with the -A option.
      3.3 volt setting
      -A3.3

5 volt setting
      -A5

params = -PPIC%ChipModel% -F"%FileName%" -B"%instdir%\programmers" -M -R -T -A5

In The GCB@SYN which I use at greatcowbasic.com for the CHIPINO this is set in the flashpic.bat file under the G@Stool folder.

REM Call PicKit2 command-line programming Software:
      "PicKit2\pk2cmd.exe" -b"%G@SDir%\PicKit2" -pPIC%2 -f%1 -m -j -t -r -a5

I added -j as well which shows a precentage of programming complete while programming. This helps to show progress for big programs.