Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

PicKit.... 2 or 3

Anobium
2013-09-19
2013-09-21
  • Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-19

In the posting https://sourceforge.net/p/gcbasic/discussion/596084/thread/c19c21cf/?limit=25#f055 the subject of PicKit came up.

Lets discuss!

I ony have a Pickit 3. I was initially very disappointed but last month I downloaded the PK3 update.I now have a very functional tool.

What are the issues?
    What is the limitations etc of Pickit 3?

• cosmok82
    cosmok82
    2013-09-19

I don't think there are limitations for PicKit 3, in old topic I found just the PicKit 2 more practical. That's it!

Last edit: cosmok82 2013-09-19
  • kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-19

The Pickit 3 does the job perfectly fine. It is the historical perspective and more about how the Pickit 3 was introduced to the market.

The Pickit 2 grew into a very mature fully featured programmer over time with self power, UART tool, Logic tool, standalone and On The Go (OTG) programming. Whether you used these features or not, the Pickit 2 always seemed to be evolving.

Introduce the Pickit 3, Microchip says the Pickit 2 will not be supported for new devices, WHAT?. You could imagine the uproar, since everything worked to perfection with the Pickit 2. Supposedly the Pickit 3 would handle the high end devices like the PIC32 much faster, don't know because don't use them. Oh, and by the way no extra features like the Logic tool, etc. hadn't been developed yet, so it felt like a step back. The support engineer (brains of the Pickit 2?) leaves Microchip around this time. There is a hilarious rant about this situation at the time :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfIS65mwn8

Thankfully a newer device file came out for the Pickit 2 whick added to the enhanced midrange Pic devices. That PK3 update to emulate the Pickit 2 feature set took way to long to come out.

• Kent_twt4 wrote:
      "Thankfully a newer device file came out for the Pickit 2 whick added to the enhanced midrange Pic devices."

Where is that updated device file located?
      Does it support the Command Line or just the GUI interface?

• kent_twt4
        kent_twt4
        2013-09-19

You can get to Pickit 2 device file on the web page. Traverse "Help/Pickit 2 on the web" from the Pickit 2 Gui. Or, here is the direct link:
        http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en023805&redirects=pickit2

Don't use the PK2CMD, but as long as the new device file is installed in the same folder/file path, I don't see why it wouldn't.

• The PK2CMD uses a different device file vs the GUI. I thought maybe you had found an update to the CMD line too.
          Thanks.

• kent_twt4
            kent_twt4
            2013-09-20

Darn it, I did not know that, I haven't waded into the Linux realm.

I did do a search over on the Microchip forums, and there is an unofficial release PK2CMD V1.21 that's supposed to work with the enhanced midrange devices
            http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=540021&mpage=1#540021

http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=638607&high=pk2cmd+device+file
            I apologize ahead of time if you are already aware of this.

edit: add link

Last edit: kent_twt4 2013-09-20
            • Yeah, I've tried that one but didn't see any difference in the support list beyond the 16F19xx parts.
              I was hoping that the 16F182x parts were supported but if they are I can't get it to work.
              The GUI supports those.
              What I did do is use this great tool from Timothy Weber that creates a way to launch the GUI from a command line.
              Check it out here:
              http://timothyweber.org/autopickit

• kent_twt4
                kent_twt4
                2013-09-20

Here is my results in Windows XP (after a year and a day) with pk2cmd (after dropping in device file 1.62.14). The 16f1503 is as new or newer than 12f182x. I am not sure if this is related to your problem or not?

C:\PROGRA~1\Microchip\PICkit_2V2.61\pk2cmd\release> pk2cmd -PPIC16F1503 -FC:\PROGRA~1\GCBASIC\compiled.hex -JN -M

Operation: Write Flash
                  0%
                 50%
                100%

Operation: Verify Flash
                  0%
                 25%
                 50%
                 75%
                100%
                PICkit 2 Program Report
                20-Sep-2013, 14:14:57
                Device Type: PIC16F1503

Program Succeeded.

Operation Succeeded

• kent_twt4
                  kent_twt4
                  2013-09-20

Here is the download.bat file for "auto detect" devices.

@ECHO OFF
                  C:
                  cd \progra~1\Microchip\PICkit_2V2.61\PK2CMD\release
                  pk2cmd /P /FC:\PROGRA~1\GCBASIC\compiled.hex /JN /M

REM Add the command to call your programmer application here
                  REM (The file to download will be called COMPILED.HEX)

• So you replaced the pk2cmd device file with the latest GUI device file and you got it to work?
                  I've not been able to get that far.
                  I'm going to go back and try again to see what I did wrong.
                  I've read on many forum posts that the two device files were different but maybe you've proved that wrong.

• kent_twt4
                    kent_twt4
                    2013-09-21

Yes it worked for me in the Windows environment. I unzipped pk2cmd V1.21 per previous link into the Pickit 2V2.61 folder. Unzipped the 1.62.14 device file and copied over the dat file in the release folder of pk2cmd. So this verifies the second Microchip forum link in previous post.

• It works!!!
                      Thank you very much for helping me sort this out.

I know I tried many combinations but then realized I was still using the V1.20 pk2cmd with the 1.62.14.
                      I went back through all the steps and made sure I had the third party PK2CMD V1.21 and the Microchip released device file 1.62.14 in the same directory and then everything worked perfectly as I programmed a PIC12F1840 and a PIC16F1825 successfully.

I'll be updating my programmer support at my GreatCowBasic.com site so the software download includes this new parts support.

•  
                  Last edit: Chuck Hellebuyck 2013-09-21
  • Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-19

I would agree re the initial functionality. I moved from another programming platform (to get speed and flexibility) to Pickit3. I could only get a Pickit3 at the time from Microchip.

I saw the youtube video. Most funny. And, did see the Microchip response? A 'fall on sword' video if I have ever seen one!

Is there any functionality that is still missing apart from UART tool in PK3?

(I do not represent, or, have anything to do with Microchip. Or, any competitor of Microchip. And, I do not have a grudge against anyone.... worth stating.)

• kent_twt4
    kent_twt4
    2013-09-19

My updated PK3 is gathering dust, until I am forced to use it again :) Couldn't tell you what current feature set is missing compared to PK2.

• Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-19

What does the UART functionality provide?

• The UART gives you a simple Debugger for sending data back to PC through the programming pins. You can also export the data to Excel to plot the data.
    It's very handy.

• Anobium
    Anobium
    2013-09-19

I hunt around eBay and Youtube. Thanks.