One-way sync between iCal and Google?

Help
autumnmist
2007-03-29
2013-04-23
  • autumnmist
    autumnmist
    2007-03-29

Is it possible to make the sync between iCal and Google one way only?  I'm hoping to make it so that iCal -> Google but not the other way (if there was ever a problem and I lost my iCal, my life would be hellish.)

• aberkes
      aberkes
      2007-04-10

Hi, you should enable the 'offline' mode (in 'gcal-daemon.cfg' & version beta8):

# Turn it on when you use dial-up connection (default is "false")
      file.offline.enabled=true

I think, this is almost that, what you would like. If you never modify your Google Calendar
      (on the Google side using browser), the sync will be one way only (iCal -> Google).

• (I don't think 'offline' mode does the trick. It seems it just alters the poling schedule)

I think I came up with a manageable solution. This post is somewhat old, but since I've almost lost my marbles with google calendars duplications, I thought it might be good for future reference.

1) Save an empty "wiper-out" iCal calendar ics file

2) Edit a second GCALDaemon config file in which ALL 'file.ical.path' arguments point to '/Users/whatever/whatever/blank_wipe_out.ics'

3) Script to perform 2 syncs:
            a) copy "wiper-out" over normal GCALDaemon config file
            b. invoke  sync-now.sh
            c. sleep some seconds
            d. copy normal config file back
            e. invoke  sync-now.sh again

And, then, another happy customer! No way of google messing your stuff again.

Hope this helps…

• Please ignore my previous reply/crap idea. I was under the erroneous perception that Google Cal was messing up with my iCal database, causing duplicates and stuff… But now I believe it must be an Apple Sync Service issue.

Anyway, a much more simple and guaranteed solution is this one I'm using: before each script, copy the whole ~/Library/Calendars folder to a specific location and config GCCALDaemon to perform the sync from that copy. That way iCal stays nicely "untouchable" while Google Cal conforms to the iCal database, no matter what.

Cheers.