Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How to install GAG on a USB Flash drive?

Help
2010-10-20
2013-05-28
  • I found an easy way to do this under windows.

1. You will need "UNetbootin" from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

2. Insert the USB Flash drive.

3. Open Unetbootin. Select the "Diskimage" radio button and locate the image file "disk.dsk" delivered by GAG 4.10. Make sure "Diskette" format is selected, not "ISO".

4. Choose the USB drive you intend to make bootable, if UNetbootin doesn't detect it automatically. Press "Ok" to copy the image to the flash drive. Your drive should now contain the information from the bootable floppy. It should work in computers capable of booting from USB.

• robycicca
    robycicca
    2011-03-22

Yes, but then you cannot install GAG on 2nd hard disk ..
    when I use GAG in  the USB Flash drive, I boot from a USB drive and the USB drive becomes first hard disk while the (actual) hard disk becomes the second hard disk.
    So when I install GAG to the MBR on the hard disk GAG gets installed to the MBR of the USB drive instead of the actual hard disk.

there any way to install GAG to the MBR of the second disk? I hope for this feature

• Jerry Heyman
    Jerry Heyman
    2011-03-22

rcicca, it's not clear to me what you want to do.  If you want to install gag on the USB, it appears that you have a way to do it.  If you want to install GAG on the hard disk, I can think of two different approaches.  1) boot without the USB attached and install or 2) change the bios boot order so that USB doesn't have priority - then the hard disk will be seen as the first drive.

• robycicca
    robycicca
    2011-03-23

I have a netbook with Windows XP and Windows 7 installed and without a cd-rom drive, so I followed your instruction, I used UNetbootin and I create a USB bootable drive with GAG. Then I boot the netbook from usb drive, GAG starts, I configure GAG, then I want install GAG on the MBR of the hard-disk, but when I choose "save on the hard-disk" GAG install itself on the MBR of the usb drive (when I boot from USB drive tihis drive becomes first hard disk while the (actual) hard disk becomes the second hard disk).
    So because I don't have cd-rom drive, I cannot use your two different approaches to install GAG on the mbr of the hard-disk.
    I look for a solution to install GAG on the hard disk of a netbook: netbook don't have an internal cd-rom drive and I don't want pay 40 euro to buy an external cd-rom drive).
    Thanks for the help.
    Roberto

• Robert Traynor
    Robert Traynor
    2011-04-02

Your topic is misnamed.  Instead of "How to install GAG on a USB Flash drive?" you should consider starting a new topic "How to install GAG _FROM_ a bootable USB Flash drive?"  or even "How to install GAG from within Windows?"

The latter is what I would prefer.  Other Boot Managers can do this, such as
    AiR-BOOT and is located here at:-  http://air-boot.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
    Robert Traynor (BobT).
    2 April 2011   13:07

• robycicca
    robycicca
    2011-04-03

Thanks, I'll try AiR-BOOT.
    I apoligize for the wrong subject.