Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Screen at boot

Help
wquatan
2011-08-12
2013-05-28
  • wquatan
    wquatan
    2011-08-12

I installed the latest GAG, but at boot-time the selection screen looks rather primitive and certainly not like what's shown here : http://gag.sourceforge.net/pics.html

I looked everywhere but couldn't find a setting
    What might be the reason ? What can I do ?

• wquatan
    wquatan
    2012-07-29

Unfortunatly I didn't get any reply on my question.

I still have a GAG-screen, which is totally different from the example shown on the website.
    I made a picture of it :

What's the reason and what should been done to change this ?

Thanks

• Kevin Phair
    Kevin Phair
    2012-07-29

Don't know if this will be any help but it looks to me like your video card is not supporting video mode 12h correctly. GAG seems to be doing fine when dumping full bytes straight (icon and text buffers) to the screen but when it's trying to use the bit mask register to isolate individual pixels for drawing the window and button edges it's not working. It might help the developers if you could say exactly what brand and chipset of video card you have.

• wquatan
    wquatan
    2012-08-08

It seems this topic (and GAG ?) is dead again.
    Frustrating, especially because there seems to be no GAG-alternatives

• Kevin Phair
    Kevin Phair
    2012-08-08

I agree with you that there doesn't seem to be anything as simple or clean. I'm not sure if I can help any further, I think I have a radeon 2500 lying around somewhere which I might try to see if that does anything similar but I just haven't had a chance to try it yet as very few of my own machines have floppy drives to install the bootloader from.

I did think of a couple of things you could try though: If you can, have a look at the settings in your BIOS for VGA palette snooping and video BIOS shadowing and try changing them one at a time to see if that has any effect.

• wquatan
    wquatan
    2012-08-08

Are the developers no longer interested in this project ? Would be a pitty !

Indeed, simple and clean. As a former (no longer existing) System Commander user, I'm only missing the option to have other bootable partitions (for resolving boot issues) unhidden when not booted  from.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll give it a try, and I'm always interested in the alternatives (not OSL2000) you have knowledge of.

It's a pitty VCOM didn't put System Commander in the public domain, as they no longer sell it

• Kevin Phair
    Kevin Phair
    2012-08-08

Oh, for what it's worth, I did also have a look at the source and all the code for drawing stuff on screen looks pretty much by the book to me. There was certainly nothing that jumped out at me that looked like it could cause issues but I didn't go particularly in-depth.

I'll have a look at some stage to see if it's possible to get the GAG installer booting off USB which will let me try it out on a lot more machines. I should also ask if it's possible to try a different video card in your machine to see if the motherboard can be ruled out as a source of incompatibility.

• robycicca
    robycicca
    2012-08-08

I suggest you to use http://sourceforge.net/projects/air-boot/
    it's the best, free e with more feature, its'perfect
    try to believe

• Kevin Phair
    Kevin Phair
    2012-08-08

@rcicca: thanks for the recommendation, licensing for that is a bit uncertain though. Screenshots say for non-commercial use only and it looks like the author has now decided to politicise it instead.

• robycicca
    robycicca
    2012-08-08

@kphair : Screenshot that "

say for non-commercial use only

" is of the old version 0.94  like you can see.

If you download the software, in the file history.txt you can read:
    "AiR-BOOT v1.06+ is released under GPLv3. Sourcecode is available from the official homepage."

Versione 1.06 of  24 May 2009 is the current version.

In the summary page too (https://sourceforge.net/projects/air-boot/) you can read "License GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)"

Why did you say "

it looks like the author has now decided to politicise it instead

"? what do you read about that?

• robycicca
    robycicca
    2012-08-08

in the file "Q_AND_A.TXT" in the folder DOCS of the software the author say its negative opinions about Microsoft, LILO, … and other softwares; I don't always agree with him, but for me it's not important, its software works good, is free and under gpl 3 license and is very useful for me, so I use it anyway

• Kevin Phair
    Kevin Phair
    2012-08-08

Oh I agree completely - Use what works best for you. I'd just rather see restrictions like "not to be used by current or past US government employees" (which presumably also rules out people like post office clerks and sanitation workers) laid out clearly alongside the GPL3 license box. If you fork AiR-BOOT are you obliged to attach the same restrictions? I imagine so.  It's stuff like that which (even though it doesn't affect me personally) just turns me off.

Anyhow, I don't want to hijack the thread and will say that although obviously GAG has its limitations, it generally does what it's supposed to do and no more so there's no point adding bells and whistles that make it diverge from the original intent (although admittedly this is speculation on my part.)

I think the OP's point is that he's found GAG to be something that's always worked before and he'd really like to continue using it if just wasn't for this one little bug. If it can be fixed, it benefits all GAG users rather than pushing them to another product.

• wquatan
    wquatan
    2012-08-09

Hi all, thanks for the discussion and the information provided.

I followed the suggestion of @rcicca and found out that Air-Boot is very similar to OSL2000

I'll stick with Air-Boot because :
    - it fit's completely in Track-0
    - I can see the partitions of other Os's (very important to me !)
    two things not the case in GAG.

When I decided for GAG more than a year ago, it was mainly because of the (unfortunatly not working) graphical user-interface, which I used to have also in VCOM System Commander.

Thanks to all who contributed :-)

• Kevin Phair
    Kevin Phair
    2012-08-09

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know - I'm still curious as to what's causing it so I'll post in this thread if I can ever replicate and fix it.