GAG and Ubuntu upgrade

xtalgrwr
2010-01-28
2013-05-28
  • xtalgrwr
    xtalgrwr
    2010-01-28

I want to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 Ubuntu on a system that boots with GAG.
    What are they caveats? I hope to do it without hickups if at all possible.
    The other OS is XP and it is all running smoothly.
    Suggestions? Input?
    Many thanks.

• Anonymous
    2010-02-12

Sorry I can't reply w. watch-out-fors.  I am however having great difficulty setting up a dual-boot PC-DOS / Ubuntu box.  My latest of several attempts went like this:  I installed DOS first (C:, D:, E:, F:), then Ubuntu, with its GRUB files saved in Patition 5 which is the Ubuntu partiion within the extended partitiion.  The results are that I can only boot DOS from GAG and always get Sector boot not found or invalid when trying to boot Ubuntu.      Thanks for any help!

• Ab6
    Ab6
    2010-07-05

Oh-Oh!  Your problem sounds like the "GRUB2" problem I have encountered.  Ubuntu does not use GRUB 0.97 any longer, but has switched to GRUB2, which uses different configuration files than GRUB.  Hence, if the boot manager is told to boot from a particular partition, and it can't find the files it expects, it fails.  I have encountered this problem with Acronis OS Selector, and it appears that this is not the only boot manager with this problem.  (For instance, Boot-US requires LILO as the Linux bootloader, and apparently does not look for GRUB nor GRUB2!)  I only have experience with Acronis OS Selector, so I have not verified this problem with GAG, but from your post, suspect it is there.

• Ab6
    Ab6
    2010-07-10

After installing and using GAG with Windows XP, Fedora 12, and Linux Mint 9, I've come to the following conclusions:

GAG is too old to understand the newer GRUB2 bootloader used by Ubuntu and Mint 9 (which is based on Ubuntu).  To use GAG to directly boot to a Linux distribution that uses GRUB2 , it would be currently be necessary to uninstall GRUB2 and install either GRUB 'Legacy' or LILO in the boot record for that partition (*not* in the MBR for the drive, as that would overwrite GAG).

However, if you have another Linux installed, such as Fedora, which uses GRUB 'Legacy' for its bootloader, then it is possible to modify the menu.lst file (actually, in the case of Fedora, "grub.conf") to load your GRUB2 distribution.  For instance, I've configured GAG to load Fedora, and Fedora's GRUB 'Legacy' displays a menu that has Mint 9 as an option.  I select Mint 9 to boot it, or do nothing to boot the default, Fedora.

To add the Mint 9 option to Fedora's grub.conf file (or to another distribution's menu.lst file), add the following code, modifying it as needed for your particular drive and partition setup:

title Mint 9
              rootnoverify (hd1,6)
              kernel /boot/grub/core.img

The above code loads Mint 9 on the second disk drive, 7th partition, using GRUB 'Legacy' notation.  (Note:  GRUB2 notation is different in that it counts partitions from 1 instead of 0, so the 7th partition of drive 2 would be called hd1,7 - just in case you are examining configuration files created by GRUB2.)

• Job Astr
    Job Astr
    2010-07-10

I use GAG with Windows 7 and Linux Mint 9, it works perfectly, I think the problem is grub2, it must be installed on a primary partition, not on an extended partition.

Sorry for my English.