Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Stand alone app.

2008-09-21
2013-05-28
  • Isn't there a way to use and install GAG more as a stand alone executable from, say an usb stick, floppy or hard drive?
    Now i can only install it two ways: floppy or cd-rom. I would like to copy and use it from any medium, say an USB stick.
    Just copy an executable to the usb stick, run it, install GAG in the MBR and ready.....

Or i am missing something and is this already possible?

• Arnold Nikkels
      Arnold Nikkels
      2008-11-24

I would like to second this.
      Yesterday I needed a bootloader for a guy who has NO floppy drive on a laptop

This is already the 3th or 4th time this happened to me this year.

More and more PCs and Laptops come out without a floppy drive and USB sticks are far cheaper than floppy drives.

So, it will be a trend in the future

However, maybe it is not possible.
      I am a non-technical user, so......

Thanks for reading

Xena

• Yes this is possible.

Download syslinux from: http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Download
      Download the .tar.bz2, .tar.gz or the .zip file (contain all the same files)

* Extract the syslinux archive.
      * Make a folder called syslinux on the root of your USB stick.
      * Copy /memdisk/memdisk to the newly created syslinux folder on your USB stick
      * Copy disk.dsk to the syslinux folder (you can rename it to gag410.img for example for the GAG v4.10)
      * Install syslinux on your USB stick:
         - Windows way:
              Open the command prompt: Start ==> Run as .. ==> cmd.exe [ENTER]
              Drag and drop the /win32/syslinux.exe file of the extracted archive to the cmd.exe window
              Add the following -ma -d syslinux X: (Replace X: with the station letter of your USB stick
                                                                     (don't make a mistake here))
              So it has to look like:
                  syslinux.exe -ma -d syslinux X:
              You need administrator rights to run this command succesfully
        - Linux way:
             Run the /linux/syslinux file of the archive with the following arguments: -d syslinux /dev/sdXn
             Adapt sdXn to the right thing for your USB stick, e.g.: /dev/sdb1
             The full command must look like this:
                 ./linux/syslinux -d syslinux /dev/sdXn
      * Open a text editor (notepad, notepad2, notepad++, gedit, kate) which saves files to a pure text
         format. So don't use Word or OpenOffice.org.
      * Copy the following content in the text editor (assuming that you have renamed the disk.dsk image
         to gag.img, else adapt the APPEND line accordingly):
      LABEL gag
      KERNEL /syslinux/memdisk
      APPEND initrd=/syslinux/gag.img
      * Save the file as syslinux.cfg (for windows users, use save as... and choose to view all extentions
        else windows will generate a file named syslinux.cfg.txt) in the syslinux folder of the USB stick.

Now the stick should boot GAG from USB.

There are also other ways to boot from USB, made with help from a virtual machine (search the topics. But they have a drawback, you can't use the rest of the space of the usb stick, when you use one of those methods.
      The memdisk program emulates a floppy drive and let you use the rest of the USB stick for other purposes.
      If you stick doesn't boot, check your BIOS settings:
      * set the BIOS to boot from USB-HDD (best way)
      * Try other USB booting options in the BIOS
      * If you have only the USB-ZIP option in your BIOS, you have to use the /utils/mkdiskimage program (linux)
        If you use windows, you can use makebootfat program to format your USB stick in the right way for USB-ZIP.
        WARNING: You loose all files on your USB stick

For more information about syslinux, memdisk and how to make config files for syslinux, look at the /doc folder of the extracted syslinux archive or look at http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX.

Another way to run GAG, is to run it from dos.
      You have to compile GAG from source to get the necessary files.