FWbuilder config of port-knocking access?

nnn
2011-07-12
2013-03-05
  • nnn
    nnn
    2011-07-12

I've been asked to provide & protect occassional roaming access to SSH listener ports at a bunch of geo-distributed boxes.

fwbuilder is really! handy for managing all the various boxes' firewall rulesets.

I do NOT want to keep SSH ports always open to the net-at-large, so I'm looking at a port-knocking setup.

Can fwbuilder setup port-knocking detection using iptables' "recent" module?

Basically, I want to have SSH listening on a closed, random port, say #12345.  Then a telent to ports #11111, #22222, and #33333 in order within 30 seconds from a given IP would open port #12345 for SSH access *just* for that IP.

Here's a simple example of what'd need to be done:

http://dotancohen.com/howto/portknocking.html

I'm just not sure if, and HOW, that'd be done with fwbuilder.

• Mike Horn
    Mike Horn
    2011-07-13

Here's a link that talks about how to use the "recent" module to temporarily ban failed SSH login attempts. 

http://www.fwbuilder.org/4.0/docs/users_guide/block_ssh_attack_with_module_recent.html

You can adapt this example to match the port knocking configuration shown in the example article you mentioned.  Let us know if you run into any issues.

• nnn
    nnn
    2011-07-13

Thanks, I think that should do it.

One thing I noticed is that when I create a CustomService object, the code string appears to be concatenated with the iptables command

So if I enter,

"-dport 10000  -m recent -name SSH -set"

when I hover over the new object, the display shows:

"iptables-dport 10000  -m recent -name SSH -set"

See? "iptables-dport" - no space.

But if I enter,

" -dport 10000  -m recent -name SSH -set"

with a leading space I get

"iptables -dport 10000  -m recent -name SSH -set"

I don't know if that's a real problem, or just one with display.

• Mike Horn
    Mike Horn
    2011-07-13

The "iptables" you see at the beginning when you hover over it just shows the type of custom service object this is, so this won't affect your generated rules.