argie01 - 2014-02-05

Hello,

I have an iptables firewall, with kernel 3.x (I’m using last version of Debian).
This FW has 4 interfaces:

a) 1 internal interface to the VLAN for servers, that at the same time gives access (using a switch that can route) to the VLAN for users.

b) 1 external interface to give access to internet, with a non public IP (there is a local network between this interface and the router). It’s called “Wall:eth1:ip-2”.

c) 1 external interface to give access to internet (this is the backup data communication line), with a non public IP (there is a local network between this interface and the router). It’s called “Wall:eth2:ip”

d) 1 external interface with a public IP used to create an VPN to an external partner (ipsec).

In the case of the interfaces giving access to internet (b and c), I plan to switch between them in case one of them loss communication. I’ll do it using a simple script that change the default route in the FW.

So, I’ve created 4 NAT rules using Firewall Builder:

• 1 for communication between servers and users VLAN (doesn’t nat)
  • 1 for communication between users and servers VLAN (doesn’t nat)
  • 1 for communication between both VLANs and internet using the normal internet interface
  • 1 for communication between both VLANs and internet using the backup internet interface

Here you can see the image of that configuration: http://imageshack.com/a/img809/3825/tqxa.png

I’m not sure if this is gonna work, and I’d like to ask your opinion about it.
I also don’t know if I should create NAT rules for the interface that connects to a external partner via VPN (using Ipsec).

Thank you again for your help.