Problems compiling FUSE for the Nokia IT

Help
2008-02-10
2013-01-01
  • spirytusick
    spirytusick
    2008-02-10

Hi,

I have tried to compile Fuse for Nokia Internet Tablets (os2008). I've build the packages for libdsk and libspectrum and they install fine. The fuse compilation always dies on me with the following error message:

then mv -f ".deps/zxcf.Tpo" ".deps/zxcf.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/zxcf.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `winfuse.ico', needed by `windres.o'.  Stop.
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/fuse-0.9.0'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/fuse-0.9.0'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/fuse-0.9.0'
    make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
    [sbox-CHINOOK_ARMEL: ~/build/fuse-0.9.0] >                             

All dependencies are installed and configured properly.

Am I missing something ?

• you can get winfuse.ico from current svn tree

• Stuart Brady
      Stuart Brady
      2008-02-10

I'm surprised that os2008 would use any windows resources... perhaps you could comment out "AC_CHECK_TOOL(WINDRES, windres, no)" and the related lines in configure.in?

If it's really needed, the icon can be found at:

http://fuse-emulator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/\*checkout*/fuse-emulator/trunk/fuse/winfuse.ico

Unfortunately, that icon doesn't work too well on a dark background.

BTW, please do consider submitting any changes you make for os2008 support, so that it can be supported in future releases! :)

• spirytusick
      spirytusick
      2008-02-10

it does push it forward a little, only a second later it spits:

windres -I. -I. ./windres.rc windres.o
      sb_gcc_wrapper (windres): /scratchbox/compilers/cs2005q3.2-glibc2.5-arm/bin/sbox-arm-linux-windres: No such file or directory
      make[2]: *** [windres.o] Error 1
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/1/fuse-0.9.0'
      make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/1/fuse-0.9.0'
      make: *** [all] Error 2
      [sbox-CHINOOK_ARMEL: ~/build/1/fuse-0.9.0] >                                                                            

and dies...

I am no programmer so I do not know where to look for culprits of this..

• maemo uses gtk so you should be really compiling fuse with gtk (default ui) not --with-win32
        you may need to tell configure where pkgconfig files are:
        http://www.scratchbox.org/documentation/user/scratchbox-1.0/html/tutorial.html#AEN141

Also GTK UI in fuse requires X for 2 functions - keyboard symbol translations and a mouse function. You'll need to comment those out

Alternatively you can try SDL UI - seems like there is an SDL port for maemo

• spirytusick
      spirytusick
      2008-02-10

<quote>I'm surprised that os2008 would use any windows resources... perhaps you could comment out "AC_CHECK_TOOL(WINDRES, windres, no)" and the related lines in configure.in? </quote>

I was suprised of that as well. I have tried commenting out the following lines in configure.in

#dnl Check for Win32 resource tool
      #AC_CHECK_TOOL(WINDRES, windres, no)
      #AC_SUBST(WINDRES)
      #if test "$WINDRES" != no; then
      #  WINDRES_OBJ="windres.o"
      #fi
      #AC_SUBST(WINDRES_OBJ)

and then

#dnl Look for Win32 UI (default=no)
      #AC_MSG_CHECKING(whether Win32 UI requested)
      #AC_ARG_WITH(win32,
      #[  --with-win32            use Win32 for user interface],
      #if test "$withval" = no; then win32=no; else win32=yes; fi,
      #win32=no)
      #AC_MSG_RESULT($win32)
      #if test "$win32" = yes; then
      #  AC_CHECK_HEADER(windows.h,
      #                  LIBS="$LIBS -mwindows -lcomctl32";
      #                  AC_DEFINE([UI_WIN32], 1, [Defined if Win32 UI in use])
      #                  UI=win32; UI_LIBS="ui/win32/libuiwin32.a",
      #                  AC_MSG_ERROR([Win32 UI not found]))
      #fi

the configure runs ok, but the compilation hits an obstacle with the following error:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `@WINDRES_OBJ@', needed by `fuse'.  Stop.
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/1/fuse-0.9.0'
      make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/spiryt/build/1/fuse-0.9.0'
      make: *** [all] Error 2
      [sbox-CHINOOK_ARMEL: ~/build/1/fuse-0.9.0] >                                      

it's really strange that the scripts think this is a windows machine...

• spirytusick
      spirytusick
      2008-02-10

Ok resolved it. Fuse compiles and runs on the tablet. No hildonization yet but it will come in time. Speed seems to be ok, (I've only run one demo quickly). There are some issues with sound (cracking occasionaly) but I suppose those are related to the peculiarities of nokia tablets soundsystem and not fuse itself. The problem was the fact that the Nokias developper pack installs possible cross-compilers (as links) including winres, once I have renamed it (winres) to something else Fuse compiled cleanly. No other packages I have tried recompiling for the tabled had that problem so maybe some tinkering is in order to make it work (or perhaps it is nokia's own fault). I am no programmer and my experience is very limited. If someone is intersted, rudimentary debian packages of libspectrum, libdsk and fuse can be found at

http://www.spirytusick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/libspectrum_0.4.0-1_armel.deb http://www.spirytusick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/libdsk_1.2.1-1_armel.deb

and finally

http://www.spirytusick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fuse_0.9.0-1_armel.deb

Please do not crucify me for the packages, I've made them for my own use. And will release a proper ones once I manage to hildonize fuse (if I manage to do this in the first place with my very limited skills)

• spirytusick
      spirytusick
      2008-02-10

Mr Marku, thanks for the input. It has now compiled cleanly with gtk2 gui. The problem was with within nokia sdk which had all possible compilers present (even for windoze) which seemed to fool the configure scripts into thinking that windows gui was required. I will have to tinker around in and try and hildonize the GUI and also perhaps to map the IT dpad to work as a cursor joystick. But for the moment it works well enough to listen to some good old ay music and to play some old game favourites (knight lore comes to mind here) with a help of the bluetooth keyboard.