confused...

Help
2008-01-16
2013-04-25
  • ok, perhaps i'm a total newb here, but i'm having a very bizarre issue with fuppes at the moment...

I had it all working for the most part, and went to compile a new version.

I got 585 from SVN, compiled and installed it w/no problems.

However, now, when i try to run it, it always comes up saying that it's SVN-r578... unless i run it directly from the binary in the compiled src directory (i.e. Source/fuppes-SVN585/src/fuppes). in the later case, it reports the correct SVN-r585 revision.

I've used checkinstall to install previous (and this) version, according to the Ubuntu 7.10 install guide on the wiki. Are there some lingering files taking precedence that I can't see even with a system-wide 'find . -name fupp*' or 'find . -name lt-fupp*'? i would appreciate any help here.

Also, when this older version is running and a database update event occurs, i get a "stack smashing" error and the program quits altogether.

thanks in advance!
    m@

• Ulrich Völkel
      Ulrich Völkel
      2008-01-16

I guess you compiled the previous version with a different --prefix than the current one.
      e.g. the old one in /usr and the current one in /usr/local.

If you update an existing package with checkinstall it should remove resp. replace all files from the old one, shouldn't it!?
      So I wonder why you still have the old version on your system. Even if you configure the old with --prefix=/usr and the new with --prefix=/usr/local the old files under /usr/ should be uninstalled when installing the new one.

Have you ever installed a version running "make install" instead of using checkinstall?

- Uli

• It's possible that I have used just "make install" before (when i've had trouble with checkinstall completing... as I said, i'm kind of a newb at this whole software compilation thing). However, and here's the weird bit...

When i realized what appeared to be happening, I used apt-get remove, and used dpkg -r (different "installs", different attempts), and even went into both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin and manually deleted the fuppes and fuppesd found there. I also attempted, on a couple attempts to manually copy (therefore, overwrite) fuppes and fuppesd from the compiled "src/" directory into both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin, and even after doing that, the old version runs--it runs even when "find . -name 'fuppes'" (from root) shows nothing other than the binaries in that "src/" directory before i've manually copied them over.

as I said, it's a bizarre thing because, as far as I can tell, it *should not* be happening.

the only thing i haven't done is delete the redundant (older) version of /home/*/.fuppes/ files (since i'm using the init.d scripted method).

if there are files lingering from a "make install" situation, where can i find them (especially since "find" can't seem to!)

Thanks,
      m@

• oh, and yes, i confirmed that the modified dates of /usr/bin/ and /usr/local/bin/'s fuppes and fuppesd binaries matched the most recent compiled or copied version... so, there's no way those would be the old version of the binaries... (right?)

• Ulrich Völkel
      Ulrich Völkel
      2008-01-19

I don't know if dpkg overwrites an existing file resp. removes it when the file existed before the package was installed.
      Just remove:
      /usr/bin/fuppes
      /usr/bin/fuppesd
      /usr/lib/libfuppes*
      /usr/local/bin/fuppes
      /usr/local/bin/fuppesd
      /usr/local/lib/libfuppes*

and install the current version with --prefix=/usr using checkinstall.

- Uli

• It's working now, running from /usr/bin. I guess it was the stuff in */lib/ that was hanging around stuffing up the works.

Thanks again!
      m@